You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-27 19:53:01

nieczy

Strange CD booting issue with 0.6

After seeing a few reviews I decided to give Arch a try.  I just downloaded arch-0.6.iso and burned a disk to give it a try and here's my issue.

First, I have 2 computers side by side one is an AthlonXP and the other is a Compaq DP4000 with a PII in it.  The computer I'm having trouble booting from in the Compaq.

I just installed Mandrake 10 on the Compaq the other day and I can boot a Dyne:Bolic Live CD in it so I know the CD is before the hard disk in the boot order and you can indeed boot from the CD.

I tried the Arch CD in my Athlon system and it boots just fine but it just won't boot on the Compaq.

Two questions:

What could be causing this?

Can i use the other linux system (Mandrake) to start the Arch install process on the CD?  I looked around a bit but didn't find anything that looked like a setup command.

#2 2004-03-27 20:50:30

potentials

Re: Strange CD booting issue with 0.6

I had problems installing from CD too, you can install from the harddrive, here's what I did:

1) copied contents of the CD to the hard drive using any OS
2) booted using the disk images "boot" and "root" found on the ftp server
3) mounted the source and destination partitions
4) run a script named quickinstall

There's a detailed description of the steps in the mailing list.

#3 2004-03-28 16:47:18

nieczy

Re: Strange CD booting issue with 0.6

Really strange it decided to boot from the CD this morning after I had made boot and root floppys.  :oops:  But I also noticed that I can boot from the boot floppy and do

loaddisk /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

from the prompt to install from the CD.

Thanks for the help.

Board footer