You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-27 15:25:34

Xoloitzcuintli

Steam games installed by separate local user wont run

Hey guys, Arch newbie here.

I have been having an issue running Steam games that were installed from a separate local user on my PC.
All games are installed on a separate HDD, and the SteamLibrary folder is assigned to a group that both I and other user are in, yet it still doesn't work.
My current workaround is either reinstalling the games under my account or using chmod to grant myself ownership (not the group) of the SteamLibrary folder to run games, but as you might expect, the other local user can no longer run the games!

From my understanding, it seems that when you install games on steam, its ownership defaults to yourself only, what would the procedure be to change such behavior?

#2 2022-07-09 22:44:52

TadaenSylvermane

Re: Steam games installed by separate local user wont run

You are probably not the first to attempt this. Nor am I the first to try to hack it. I tried a script with my wine directory  thinking i may just be permissions based.

#!/bin/sh
# tadaen sylvermane | jason gibson

WINEDIR=/lolindeed/.wine

[ -d "$WINEDIR" ] || exit 0

#chown -R root:wineusers "$WINEDIR"

# attempt to run wine as multiple users 

find "$WINEDIR"/ -name  '*.*' -print0 \
| while IFS= read -r -d '' file ; do
	OCTALS=$(stat "$file" | grep Access:\ \( | cut -d\( -f 2 | cut -d\/ -f 1)
	UBIT=$(echo "${OCTALS:1}" | head -c 1)
	OBIT=$(echo "${OCTALS:3}")
	echo "${UBIT}${UBIT}${OBIT} - ${file}"
	chmod "$UBIT""$UBIT""$OBIT" "$file"
done

Dirty. Did what I wanted. Still no luck on loading something in Wine. Wine checks for actual user ownership, not permissions. Wine may be able to be hacked to ignore the "$USER" variable but if Steam does the same thing then not much one can do about it since it's closed.

Last edited by TadaenSylvermane (2022-07-09 22:47:07)

Board footer