You are not logged in.

#151 2022-04-28 17:27:21

bgc1954

Re: Tabby: a tabbed-tiling wayland compositor

I’ll have to wait until it happens again or build a package and see if I get this anomaly as I never tried to scroll with the mouse. Didn’t know foot could do that.

edit:  Just built an old game I used to play and there was lots of screen scrolling and foot was fine.  Maybe it's some kind of weird interaction between foot and pacman.  I usually only upgrade Arch once a week so next time I'll see if anything happens and if it's a foot issue that's not really your concern.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2022-04-28 17:44:31)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#152 2022-04-28 17:56:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Also check whether hitting enter (in that foot window) results in the text moving.

If the foot window has completely stopped rendering that could be a compositor (tabby) issue; but actually if that were the case it would vanish as soon as there was any frame drawn (i.e. immediately).  If foot is not able to send updated buffers to tabby *might* also be a tabby issue.  But otherwise the compositor is not relevant for what is / isn't drawing within the foot window.

The only other possibly compositor-relevant issue is if the foot surface/window is too big and the bottom is really just below a screen edge.  I'm not sure how this could happen - but at least theoretically it could result in symptoms like you describe - but you'd then almost certainly see other windows being cut off at the bottom all the time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#153 2022-10-04 19:51:59

bgc1954

Well, my issue hadn't raised it's ugly head until today when I did a pacman -Syu.  The output went all the way to "(16/16) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache..." and then just sat there so I tried as you suggested in your last post and hit enter.  I then got my command prompt so I don't know if this helpful in determining fault but just thought I'd let you know.  I also discovered that I see the command prompt but can't enter anything as foot doesn't seem to be accepting keyboard input as there is no blinking cursor.  And there are no other windows cut off at the bottom since I had to start firefox to see what you had suggested to hit the enter key.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by bgc1954 (2022-10-04 19:53:18)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#154 2022-10-04 20:10:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Not accepting keyboard input could under some circumstances be a compositor issue as tabby must send the events to the proper client.  But if foot received the Enter keypress than tabby had correctly done it's part.  If foot is not accepting input after that, it would appear to be a foot issue - though one I've never seen using foot exlusively as my terminal for some time.

You could check the journal to see if any drm-related issues get logged there at that time.  Or tabby's logging data goes to stderr; if you are capturing that you can check there (if you just start `tabby` or `exec tabby` without redirecting the stdout/stderr I don't know if there is a convenient way to retrieve such logging).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer