You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-14 07:36:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Single drive in raid interface(solved)

Desire to utilize a raid connector for an IDE hard drive in my a7v333 mobo to provide a separate drive for my system.

Most descriptions allow for two drives to be utilized in raid configs.

My computer has a promise PDC20276 raid controller which can be set up prior to boot as a raid 0 array with a selection which permits a single device.  However, even in windows, I have never been able to run a single device as I recall (ten years or more back when, in the last millenia!).

Please advise how to connect and use a single drive in the interface setup I have, as established in archlinux.

The mobo has two separate connectors provided for raid systems. I will use the blue connector for  my single drive.

From that setup of a single drive, the computer boots into arch but I do not find the drive listed in K disk free.

What modules are necessary for this function?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2006-10-23 18:40:34

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Single drive in raid interface(solved)

I have installed mdadm in my computer.

After studying the raid related forum posts, I do not as yet see a reference to utilizing raid from an onboard promise raid chip.  Many seem to be software raid setups.

Do not know what assign is made to the raid hard drive I have connected to the raid primary in arch linux.

Any help appreciated....

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2006-10-23 19:36:40

Lone_Wolf

try this utility : http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/

the biggest problem with onboard ataraid/sataraid controllers under linux seems to be to find out what devices they create.

Also the promise fasttrak onboard raid controllers have much more in common with software raid solutions than with real hardware raid controllers like the adaptec scsi raid controllers.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2006-10-23 20:32:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

Lone wolf;

Thanks for the ref.

I finally fought my way through the raid array setup and identified the drive as /dev/hde with fdisk -i command.

Now I have to checkout its performance.

Many thanks big_smile

Board footer