You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-27 15:15:46

anark10n

[SOLVED] Pacman failing to update system

So, as the title says, I can't update my system, and because i couldn't, my system is now dead in the water (writing from mobile), for some reason. I have update the keyring, refreshed gpg keys, refreshed mirrorlist, and pacman still reports that the ~1gb of packages it dowloads when running a system update are invalid or corrupted (live recovery).

I've run out of things to check, so i'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what else i can do.

Any help would be much appreciated?

Last edited by anark10n (2022-05-03 14:59:42)

#2 2022-04-27 15:29:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman failing to update system

anark10n wrote:

... and because i couldn't, my system is now dead ib the water

How do those two points relate to each other?  Being unable to update is a problem, but nothing will magically stop working just because updates haven't been applied.  It should "work" just as it did before updates were available.

But in any case, actual commands / output / logs are needed.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-04-27 15:29:58)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-04-27 16:27:56

anark10n

The system froze when I attempted a system update prompting me to hard reset 3-4 times, and then after that, it wouldn't boot to the desktop with the following error message during boot:

Failed to start[Load Kernel Modules]

I couldn't do much in recovery mode, because networking wasn't functioning, so I went into live recovery.

As for commands, I've tried pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring, pacman -Syyu, pacman-keys -refresh-keys, and all of them execute with no errors. The error only arises when pacman attempts to install the package:

:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/<package-name.zstd> is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Do you want to delet it? [Y/n]
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occured, no packages upgraded.

This error appears regardless of whether I pick y or n.

What logs in particular would you like for this case?

Last edited by anark10n (2022-04-27 17:10:52)

#4 2022-04-27 16:32:10

Scimmia
Fellow

Exact errors, don't filter out information. We also need the actual error, which happens just before what you posted.

#5 2022-04-27 17:46:46

anark10n

Sorry, i was quoting from memory as best i could as i wasn't in front of my pc. The exact error is:

error: linux: signature from "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <jan.steffens@gmail.com>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.17.4.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP Signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurres, no packages were upgraded.

The package error is the same for all packages downloaded when performing pacman -Syu.

#6 2022-04-27 17:51:46

Scimmia
Fellow

signature being invalid generally means that it's actually corrupt. Are you behind a captive portal or something? What mirror are you using?

I suppose it could also be that gpgme is broken. You can try to use pacman from the ISO with the --root option.

Edit: Note that to use pacman from the ISO, you'll probably have to run pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring first.
Only on the ISO, without --root or --sysroot, and even then this is one of the very few times -Sy should be used

Last edited by Scimmia (2022-04-27 18:01:19)

#7 2022-04-27 19:12:05

seth

The system froze when I attempted a system update prompting me to hard reset 3-4 times, and then after that, it wouldn't boot to the desktop with the following error message during boot:

Before anything else you should check the drive, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SMART

Last edited by seth (2022-04-27 19:12:20)

#8 2022-04-27 20:46:02

anark10n

seth wrote:

Before anything else you should check the drive, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SMART

I did a short test and it passed, i'll perform a longer test later.

Scimmia wrote:

signature being invalid generally means that it's actually corrupt. Are you behind a captive portal or something? What mirror are you using?

I suppose it could also be that gpgme is broken. You can try to use pacman from the ISO with the --root option.

Edit: Note that to use pacman from the ISO, you'll probably have to run pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring first.
Only on the ISO, without --root or --sysroot, and even then this is one of the very few times -Sy should be used

Not behind a captive portal, and before i was mirrora as sorted by reflector, but then uswd the obline generator and used the South African and France mirrors.

When using the --sysroot option, do I specify the mount point or the /dev point?

#9 2022-04-27 20:49:30

seth

Do the SMART attributes show any concern (reallocated sectors, reserve usage, pending or offline uncorrectable…)?

#10 2022-04-27 21:18:48

anark10n

seth wrote:

Do the SMART attributes show any concern (reallocated sectors, reserve usage, pending or offline uncorrectable…)?

Reallocated sector count and events are both 0, offline uncorrecable is 0, but no ID referring to reserve usage that i can see. Log says: No Errors Logged, and the smart self-test status says "completed without error".

Last edited by anark10n (2022-04-27 21:19:24)

#11 2022-04-27 21:25:02

seth

'key.

When using the --sysroot option, do I specify the mount point or the /dev point?

Mountpoint. Don't forget to mount the boot partition there, too.

#12 2022-04-28 07:41:18

anark10n

So, the long SMART test completed with 0 errors logged, so i tried the pacman --sysroot /mnt -Syu, and if it detects the packages already downloaded when i arch-chrooted into the guest, i get the following errors:
1st a long output of the following error

error: GPGME error: Invalid crypto engine

Then the following error for every package downloaded

error: linux: missing required signature
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.17.4.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

But if i run the command and it attempts to download fresh packages of its own, i get the followoing error:

error: could not open file: /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
error: could not determine filesystem mount points
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no pacakges were upgraded.

Some times the following error shows up(1 or more lines of the same), sometimes it doesn't:

error: could not read db 'community' (Damaged tar archive)

And these errors on further attemtps, for different packages, never the same ones, or no error at all:

error: community database is inconsistent: name mismatch on package openshadinglanguage

#13 2022-04-28 17:19:03

anark10n

I thought i had executed the pacman --sysroot wrong, but even after changing it to pacman --sysroot=/mnt -Syu, i still get the same error as in above post. Am i missing something?

I tried disabling package signing and am now getting the following error for downloaded packages:

:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.17.5.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).

And if i execute pacman --root=/mnt -Syu instead i get the following error:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libcap (2.64-1) breaks dependency 'lipcap=2.63' required by lib32-libcap

If i ignore the package i get the same error as in my 3rd post.

Last edited by anark10n (2022-04-28 17:52:59)

#14 2022-04-28 18:04:28

Scimmia
Fellow

you went right to gpgme being broken instead of checking if the files are actually corrupted? It sounds more and more like they are. What does running 'file' on one of those files give you?

#15 2022-04-28 20:45:28

seth

/etc/mtab symlinks ../proc/self/mounts, so this sounds as if /proc isn't mounted in this context.
What exactly do before and at

run the command and it attempts to download fresh packages of its own

because it smells like a botched chroot.

#16 2022-04-30 20:14:44

anark10n

Scimmia wrote:

you went right to gpgme being broken instead of checking if the files are actually corrupted? It sounds more and more like they are. What does running 'file' on one of those files give you?

Can't get you that information more as I'm now attempting a reinstall of the OS, and pacstrap is throwing the same error as in my 3rd post, minus the request to delete it, and deleting it anyway, so the files aren't even veing kept. Not all the files download are flagged, so they're still present.

seth wrote:

What exactly do before and at

run the command and it attempts to download fresh packages of its own

because it smells like a botched chroot.

All i did was mount the root partition, and then the boot partition.

#17 2022-04-30 20:31:15

seth

All i did was mount the root partition, and then the boot partition.

Doesn't cover

i run the command and it attempts to download fresh packages

nor whether or not you chrooted into the system (and how) or anything else.

Again: ther error suggests that /proc isn't mounted, so the context is really important. Be specific and complete about your actions and don't paraphrase.

#18 2022-05-01 06:04:23

anark10n

Yeah, those are the steps i took, exactly as i took them. Booted up the live disc. Mounted root and boot partitions. Then ran the command. Regardless, if i chrooted into the mounted OS or not, the error only shows up when the live OS pacman tries to download the packages. Between reboots, and even if i recreates the live disc. The file exists, though, and it opens the file it links to without issue.

Last edited by anark10n (2022-05-01 06:04:42)

#19 2022-05-01 06:31:09

seth

Ran *what* command?
Stop paraphrasing if you want this to ever go anywhere.

That also goes for

the error only shows up

What error?

isn't related to pacman or downloading and will show up for all sorts of things.

Post the *exact* I/O - link some screenshots if that's your only option.

#20 2022-05-01 14:41:25

anark10n

seth wrote:

Ran *what* command?
Stop paraphrasing if you want this to ever go anywhere.

Apologies for the confusion. If i run pacman --sysroot=/mnt -Syu
I get only this error, and nothing else

There's no other error once I press return after the prompt to proceed with the installation.

Screenshot from a fresh install, but i followed the exact same steps as my previously non-functional install and got the same error.
https://i.imgur.com/sIu8iC9.jpeg

I managed to reinstall the OS by plugging the drive in a different computer and doing a base install there, before moving the drive back. I still get the following error when trying to install just about anything (e.g. pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils)

error: nvidia:signater from "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <jan.steffens@gmail.com>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-510.60.17-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Sometimes one package won't throw the above error when I execute pacman -S, e.g. nvidia-utils, or mesa, but will throw the error on subsequent executions.

Mod Edit - Replaced oversized image with link.
CoC - Pasting pictures and code

Last edited by Slithery (2022-05-01 16:40:24)

#21 2022-05-01 15:07:39

seth

stat /mnt/etc/mtab

Though I guess that's now irrelevant?

I managed to reinstall the OS … I still get the following error when trying to install just about anything

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman … ure_errors

#22 2022-05-01 15:22:13

Scimmia
Fellow

You're getting that because you're using --sysroot without mounting the pseudofilesystems. One of the reasons I suggested --root initially. If you want to use --sysroot, see the chroot wiki page about what all needs to be mounted.

#23 2022-05-01 16:27:09

anark10n

Same exact error. Redid the install without moving hard drive from 1 pc to another, and pacstrap never gets past this point, with the exact same behaviour where different packages are invalid or corrupt with each execution.

Last edited by anark10n (2022-05-01 16:28:33)

#24 2022-05-01 16:31:52

anark10n

@Scimmia

I had tried it with --root here, and still got the PGP signature error.

anark10n wrote:

:: installing libcap (2.64-1) breaks dependency 'lipcap=2.63' required by lib32-libcap

If i ignore the package i get the same error as in my 3rd post.

#25 2022-05-01 16:38:44

Slithery
Administrator

anark10n wrote:

That's a completely different error caused by not having the [multilib] repo enabled.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer