You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-14 12:05:46

boocheus

Using cpu schedulers soft locks pc in certain scenario.

I have tried xanmods task type and tkg-bmq and both crash in the exact same scenarios.

One example is the game back 4 blood. It soft locks after booting up everytime. -dx11 or -dx12 dont change this. Any kernel without a scheduler works fine.
its so rare I honestly have almost no examples other than that. I think some games like modern warfare remastered and advanced warfare had really bad stuttering that was solved when not using a scheduler but thats it.

I use a ryzen 5800x btw.

Last edited by boocheus (2022-05-16 22:51:47)

#2 2022-05-14 17:08:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Using cpu schedulers soft locks pc in certain scenario.

You are never "not using" a scheduler. But you are normally using the standard CFS scheduler of the kernel, that most general development will be geared against and will generally be the most tested. It's not unlikely that there's some specific functionality in your CPU that simply not properly handled by third party schedulers.

FWIW something you will want to do almost  everywhere if you are using third party schedulers is change your CPU frequency governor from schedutil (which is almost always only properly implemented on CFS) to ondemand or performance. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_fr … _governors

#3 2022-05-15 14:25:25

boocheus

V1del wrote:

You are never "not using" a scheduler. But you are normally using the standard CFS scheduler of the kernel, that most general development will be geared against and will generally be the most tested. It's not unlikely that there's some specific functionality in your CPU that simply not properly handled by third party schedulers.

FWIW something you will want to do almost  everywhere if you are using third party schedulers is change your CPU frequency governor from schedutil (which is almost always only properly implemented on CFS) to ondemand or performance. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_fr … _governors

I found out the issue stands with softrealtime=on for gamemode. Thanks for the advice. smile

Last edited by boocheus (2022-05-15 14:51:06)

#4 2022-05-16 22:52:13

boocheus

Updating this. Yeah it wasnt, i figured it was but it wasnt. I still have no clue as to the exact cause of the crash besides the cpu scheduler.

Last edited by boocheus (2022-05-16 22:52:24)

Board footer