You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-18 14:22:04

peteblank

I would like my terminal to look like acrylic glass

Hello, I would like for my terminal to look like acrylic glass.
I was told to use picom, I installed picom but then it said that another composite manager is running.
I tried looking up how to find the composite that is running and I couldn't find out how.
So how do I get picom to run or if there is any other way to get the acrylic glass look on the terminal I'd appreciate it thanks.
Oh and I'm currently running arch with gnome.

#2 2022-05-18 14:39:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: I would like my terminal to look like acrylic glass

Gnome/mutter does compositing itself which is why you can't (and shouldn't) run picom.  Picom would be used with simpler WMs that don't do compositing themselves.

You should just be able to configure your terminal for transparency now and you'll be set.  Which terminal is it?  What have you done to configure it so far?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-05-18 15:04:05

peteblank

I did try mutter, I ran sudo mutter and it gave me the following error message:

`Failed to configure: Unsupported session type`

Thank you by the way.

#4 2022-05-18 15:21:54

seth

mutter is the gnome compositor.
If you're running gnome, mutter is already running. You also cannot use a different compositor - mutter is a major part of "gnome" (arguebly most of it)
Also don't blindly "sudo" stuff to make it work - it won't in this case and you're just making things worse this way by potentially creating files w/ bogus access rights in your $HOME.

There's https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gnom … r-my-shell but idk whether it blurs gnome-terminal

#5 2022-05-18 15:40:11

yochananmarqos

There's https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gnom … r-my-shell but idk whether it blurs gnome-terminal

Blur My Shell does have an option to blur applications, however it's still in beta and quite buggy.

@peteblank: I suggest gnome-terminal-fedora in the AUR. It's Fedora's GNOME Terminal with a patch to enable transparency support.

#6 2022-05-18 15:59:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Or just use any one of the dozen terminals in the arch repos that have configurable transparency (I'm surprised gnome-terminal doesn't ... then again not that surprised).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer