You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-19 22:22:14

amzy0

Test My Heimdallr terminal

A terminal, We are focused on its lightness and speed! Finally, it can be a permanent terminal for you! this terminal is written in C and Gtk framework because Heimdallr must be SUPER lightweight.

Link: https://github.com/amzy-0/heimdallr

#2 2022-05-19 23:41:52

schard
Website

Re: Test My Heimdallr terminal

How do "Super lightweight", Gtk and launchers for two GUI browsers fit together?
And your "install script"... holy moly. I stopped reading after

syscall('#sudo pacman -Syyu ; ') # update and upgrade
syscall('sudo pip3 install tkintertable ; ') 

Why not provide a simple Makefile?

#3 2022-05-20 01:38:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Agreed on gtk != lightweight.

There is a start of a Makefile there.  Though there should be one makefile, not different ones for each distro.  The Makefile should use pkgconf{,ig} rather than trying to hardcode all include paths and lib names (which is extremely fragile and *will* break with updates).  This would drastically simplify the Makefile which could likely then just rely on implicit rules (though this might require renaming some source files so %.o can be made from %.c).

Then add an install directive to the Makefile that respects PREFIX and DESTDIR.  From there leave the packaging to distro packagers who can very easily handle it properly.  I assure you, this will be widely appreciated, and will save you from loads of angry hatemail in response to attempting to run pacman behind a users back and install pip packages as root (FYI, and such hatemail is well deserved, do not do these things!)

And that updater .... must be killed with fire.  Really, don't do anything like that ... at all.  Really just provide a simple quality makefile and someone here can make a vcs PKGBUILD that will update this properly.

As for the code itself, could you describe the purpose / goals?  It is "lightweight" in not having much code at all (117 LOC), but heavy in dependencies.  It looks like a vte instance with buttons to launch two different browsers.  Why does a terminal need buttons to launch browsers?  When I first looked at the code I assumed it might handle urls in the terminal output, but these are separate buttons and there is a url prompt??

Last edited by Trilby (2022-05-20 01:46:32)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2022-05-20 07:59:04

flump_cliff_kumquat_fox

Have you tried kitty? How does that differ from the goals of Heimdallr?

Last edited by flump_cliff_kumquat_fox (2022-05-20 07:59:30)

#5 2022-05-20 18:31:27

amzy0

Thanks for all things. I try to fix the project with all opinions. smile

Board footer