You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-20 06:56:24

oldcastle

Optmization: Which unnecessary services do you disable?

Hi,

I use my laptop for "basic" stuff only, office related. Nothing intense like video editing or heavy multimedia stuff or network sharing. So, are there unnecessary services that run by default that I could disable? Which ones? 

Cheers
Ps: I have already disabled all the desktop effects. Anything else?

#2 2022-05-20 07:03:42

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Optmization: Which unnecessary services do you disable?

On Arch generally very little to nothing runs automatically without you having enabled it. So without you going more precise on what you think could be running that is unnecessary on your system this isn't answerable. As there might be some helper tools coming with your choice of DE you might want to elaborate here.

#3 2022-05-20 07:25:23

oldcastle

V1del wrote:

On Arch generally very little to nothing runs automatically without you having enabled it. So without you going more precise on what you think could be running that is unnecessary on your system this isn't answerable. As there might be some helper tools coming with your choice of DE you might want to elaborate here.

You are right, sorry. I omitted that I'm talking about KDE plasma. For example. I think Baloo is one thing that I don't need. Any other suggestion?

#4 2022-05-20 07:42:05

Xabre

Fortunately, most of Plasma specific background services are easy to disable and have good descriptions.
System Settings page and read carefully then decide what you use/plan to use and what not.
Like, I'd disable printing, but you may still need a printer..or Vaults. It's entirely up to your own needs.
Essential things cannot be disabled there anyway.

Board footer