You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-07 12:09:47

CyberNhull

[SOLVED]Cpupower not working properly with last update

Hello, I have a overheating laptop (Samsung NP550P5C-S03) and i have two questions.

The first one is if anybody knows why this command:

cpupower frequency-set -d 1.2Ghz -u 2.4Ghz

just don't seem to have any effect anymore after the update to it (it does not throw any errors).

The second one is if anybody knows how to make:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

stick after reboot, i tried:

chattr +i /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

but it says:

chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

Thanks for the help big_smile

Last edited by CyberNhull (2016-08-07 15:11:20)

If it does not kill you....It will make you smarter

#2 2016-08-07 12:44:29

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Cpupower not working properly with last update

Please search before posting...

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2016-08-07 15:11:06

CyberNhull

graysky wrote:

Please search before posting...

I have searched, even Arch Wiki didn't helped me...but it's all good i have figured it out disturbed guy.

#4 2016-08-07 15:45:43

ewaller
Administrator

First, A search on arch linux problem upgrade cpupower looks like it should have helped.
Second, it is a breach of etiquette to not tell us the answer. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … way_street
Third, and most important, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ther_users

Last edited by ewaller (2016-08-07 15:46:06)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-08-13 13:16:10

CyberNhull

ewaller wrote:

First, A search on arch linux problem upgrade cpupower looks like it should have helped.
Second, it is a breach of etiquette to not tell us the answer. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … way_street
Third, and most important, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ther_users

Yeah it is, but it should be a breach of etiquette to post reply's like that one too. People don't know each other, people don't know what that person day has been nor is life for that matter. People should be respectful to one another and at least point other people on the right direction (if they want to help, if they don't just don't post reply's). Only people who want to cause problems or have no respect for other people gives answers like:

graysky wrote:

"Please search before posting..."

Has for the "answer" i will tell it out of respect to other people who might encounter this post.

This is a regression on cpupower, devs said they will solved it in cpupower 4.8 version. After i thought for a second i arrived at a simple solution. If people want to change the governor they should do like this as root:

# echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

People can change the "performance" governor for the one they want.

For changing the frequency people can change the "scaling_min_freq" file like this as root:

# echo "1200000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

and the "scaling_max_freq" file like this as root:

# echo "2400000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

"1200000" and "2400000" is equivalent to 1.2Ghz and 2.4Ghz respectively. People can change this accordingly to what they want.

Has for Turbo Boost i created a oneshot type service on systemd to execute the command to put it down. I did the same with the frequency commands just to not have to  type them every time i boot.

#6 2016-08-14 23:40:24

mrunion
Website

@CyberNhull: No, it doesn't work that way here. You search first and report what you've tried. That's the way this community works. If you stay, you are expected to follow it. I would read the linked Wiki articles and make an effort to take it to heart.

And thanks for posting your findings, as is the proper etiquette.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#7 2022-05-18 15:08:05

unfa
Website

I find that cpupower service also doesn't work for me. As a result I have to run `sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance` every time I boot up or I'm stuck at lowest CPU frequency, which is really bad.
I guess the package is just brokoen?
Is it possible to issue and update through Arch Linux repositories to fix it?

I'll try to make my own systemd service to run the appropriate command, though it's messy...
It used to work, and then all of a sudden it stopped working.
Simiarly I had to create a custom systemd service to reset networking after resuming from hibernation because it has broken on it's own a few weeks ago and had me running two commands every time I resumed.

I wonder why these things keep happening...
I didn't mess with any system confuiguration or installed new packages when it worked.

Last edited by unfa (2022-05-18 15:10:15)

I make videos about audio production using Linux & FOSS: YouTube · Odysee · PeerTube

#8 2022-05-21 16:40:57

unfa
Website

I've set up a systemd service to set the CPU frequency at boot, but it seems something is overriding that later on.
If I run the code on my own it works, but it does not have the intended effect on my system, I still have 2.2 GHz (powersave) frequency at boot.

[Unit]
Description=Set CPU frequency governor to performance

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Am I doing something wrong here?

I make videos about audio production using Linux & FOSS: YouTube · Odysee · PeerTube

#9 2022-05-23 15:31:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please don't necrobump a 6 year old topic.

The cpupower service is not expected to do anything by default, it reads a config file you have to appropriately set up under /etc/default/cpupower and uncomment the governor line to apply the performance governor (after doing that it works as expected here).

As for your custom service, a service's ExecStart line  is not a shell and you can't use shell constructs like > in them. Change your service section to

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/sh -c 'echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor'

please open a new thread if you need help beyond this.

Closing.

Board footer