You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-21 06:53:27

smoneck

Browser freezes on TLP + battery

Hi,

Firefox and Chromium both regularly freeze on battery using tlp. The same of course holds for Electron software.
Chrome based software sometimes recovers, Firefox never did this so far.

Around the moment of hanging, there are no logs appearing in the journal.

Do you have an idea what specific tlp setting that might be or whether there is a way of fixing it?

I have the feeling that it relaxed a little by relaxing the CPU_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY_ON_BAT setting but my battery consumption increases sig.
Hence uninstalling tlp and switching to powertop is not really an option.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by smoneck (2022-05-21 07:07:10)

#2 2022-05-23 15:24:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Browser freezes on TLP + battery

if installed remove xf86-video-intel

#3 2022-05-24 09:46:35

smoneck

I indeed had xf86-video-intel installed and am back to modesetting now.

I also added these kernel parameters and will have a look now.

I noticed that I don't have the intel kernel module:

> modprobe intel
modprobe: FATAL: Module intel not found in directory /lib/modules/5.17.5-arch1-1

Do you have an idea what's going on? I neither have nomodeset set nor intel blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/ or /usr/lib/modprobe.d/.

P.S. How do you actually achieve this incredible coverage on the forum here? smile

#4 2022-05-24 10:19:58

V1del
Forum Moderator

The kernel module for the intel GPU drivers is called i915 and is very likely to be loaded regardless. What you removed by getting rid of xf86-video-intel is only the 2D driver for xorg operations which has a replacement in the modesetting xorg driver that does these same 2D operations via generic OpenGL rather than actual HW specific knowledge.

xf86-video-intel has been pretty much dead and in maintenance limbo for a couple years now and there are a load of bugs with it that aren't getting fixed. These kind of redraw problems with blink/chromium clients being one of the more prominent ones.

as for the PS, I often have some downtimes here and there that I can quickly check up on things here, and most questions don't take that much time to reply to.

#5 2022-05-24 18:37:07

smoneck

V1del wrote:

xf86-video-intel is only the 2D driver for xorg operations which has a replacement in the modesetting xorg driver that does these same 2D operations via generic OpenGL rather than actual HW specific knowledge.

This clears a ton for me! I would love to see that within the wiki somewhere.

V1del wrote:

The kernel module for the intel GPU drivers is called i915 and is very likely to be loaded regardless.

Yes, i915 is indeed loaded.

I haven't found the time to test the hanging issue on battery but so far the modesetting driver runs mostly smooth. The switching between different X-sessions is way faster - this is a charm!

But I just had a prominent issue: On a zoom meeting I just had no videos at all. Not even within the camera settings window. The others could see me but I could not see anyone. The same for zoom within the browser. That would really be a bummer if I would not get that to work. I now had my phone running to display the speakers. By the way, for Big Blue Button it apparently works.

Do you have any magic ideas on this one? smile

Last edited by smoneck (2022-05-24 18:38:35)

#6 2022-05-25 11:45:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

It technically is in the wiki, note the blue note in: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_ … stallation

For the zoom issues, depends, most modern screen sharing implementations will want to use pipewire/desktop portals, what's your situation here

pacman -Qs 'pipewire|pulse|desktop-portal'
systemctl --user status pipewire pulseaudio pipewire-media-session

what general GUI session are you on?

#7 2022-05-25 12:07:48

smoneck

V1del wrote:

It technically is in the wiki, note the blue note [...]

Yes... technically. smile I find it between the lines of answers 3 x [to answers] on the reddit link.

<MOVED TO>

Last edited by smoneck (2022-06-01 07:16:37)

#8 2022-06-01 07:19:54

smoneck

I moved the Zoom issue to a separate, new thread. So far, I did not have any hangs on the modesetting driver but I haven't tested it for a very long time either.
If nothing pops up, I'll mark this thread as solved.

Board footer