You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-24 00:37:45

Domoto

Arch not booting at random times

Hello,

I have been having this weird annoying issue where Arch will not boot at random times. This mostly happens after the computer has been shutdown for a while.
I have only encountered this bug on Arch. I have tried other Distros such as Manjaro and Ubuntu  and have not had this issue. I have tried reinstalling arch, switching from grub to
systemd-boot but no luck.

When the computer wont boot a black screen is shown and the computer seems idle. the monitor show no signal and the computer seems to do nothing
Ctrl alt f2  or ctrl alt delete does nothing either.

To boot the computer I have to power off during the black screen and then power back on. When it is on the computer runs well with no issues.

If anyone has any solution that would be great
Thanks.

#2 2022-05-24 03:07:42

skunktrader

Re: Arch not booting at random times

What is written to the journal when it appears to hang?

#3 2022-05-24 21:24:56

Domoto

Hello, I can't find any logs for the boot hangings but I did find these errors. I cant tell if they are related or not.

```
x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.

May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\ADBG], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20211217/dswload2-326)
May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20211217/psobject-220)

May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PC00.PGON.PBGE], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.PGON due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20211217/psparse-529)
May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.PEG1.PG01._ON due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20211217/psparse-529)
May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: ACPI: PM: Power Resource [PG02]

May 24 08:37:08 domoton kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1b.0: DPC: error containment capabilities: Int Msg #0, RPExt+ PoisonedTLP+ SwTrigger+ RP PIO Log 4, DL_ActiveErr+
```

Thank you for replying

Last edited by Domoto (2022-05-24 21:25:15)

#4 2022-05-24 21:55:56

loqs

When the system does not boot is the blank screen after the bootloader has finished or does it not reach the bootloader?

#5 2022-05-24 22:11:10

Domoto

The system does not make it to the bootloader. It just hangs on a black screen, the cpu fans usually change colors when it goes to the bootloader.

#6 2022-05-25 05:40:19

seth

I have tried other Distros such as Manjaro and Ubuntu  and have not had this issue.

I have tried … switching from grub to systemd-boot but no luck.

The system does not make it to the bootloader.

The bootloader /is/ grub or systemd-boot and it has nothing to do w/ the OS but preceeds it (it's where you select the system you want to boot)
If you don't reach the bootloader and don't get beeps from the BIOS (for no VGA/RAM/CPU) that suggests that the drive where the bootloader is installed doesn't show up and even then you'd get a post from the BIOS that no bootable device is present.

If you think the bootloader is the fancy thing where you type in user and password, that's the "display manager" and in that case there's a good chance you lack https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … _KMS_start or a bug in the DM (there's a couple of recent threads about issues w/ SDDM)

If you really mean the bootloader (where you select the OS): is it supposed to show up or do you have it on silent and autoselect?

#7 2022-05-25 11:47:10

Domoto

Hello,

I have no real way to tell if it gets to the bootloader or not since nothing really loads at all, its just a black screen.
I will definately be trying KMS_Start since I am running SDDM.
I do not have the bootloader on silent but I do have it on autoselect for Arch, even when it wasnt on autoselect it would do the same.

Thank you,

#8 2022-05-25 13:44:56

seth

I have no real way to tell if it gets to the bootloader or not since nothing really loads at all, its just a black screen.

The first stuff you're supposed to see is some post from the BIOS/UEFI (memory self test etc.)
If that doesn't happen, this isn't a software issue at all.

Then you get the bootloader (grub) - at least when you're not autoselecting an entry.
If that doesn't show up, it's the bootloader, not the OS.

Then you get  a bunch of boot messages (preferably if you don't have "quiet" in the kernel parameters - idk why that's the default…).
If those don't show up, there's a problem w/ the kernel framebuffer output, possibly the late KMS at fault.

Then you will most likely result in some display manager (SDDM, GDM, lightdm, …)
If that doesn't happen, it's either the display manager or the display server (X11/wayland)

So: at which stage does it fail for you?

#9 2022-05-25 18:37:36

leonavis

Can you access Bios at least?

#10 2022-05-25 23:10:37

Domoto

Hello,

My system fails before the boot loader I believe. excuse me if I am wrong I am new to arch.

I have tried some methods but have not found any luck.
I have tried switching to grub , to lightdm as well, and reinstalling arch
If it helps I do get microcode hardware errors every time I boot but I have never experienced a crash or tinkered with the computers hardware.
When I used to use windows It wouldnt give me any hardware errors either.

When I press the power button for the computer The fan stops for a second and continues as it enters the GIGABYTE Boot screen
Usually when the boot hangs, the CPU fan does not stop and continue.

Thank you,

#11 2022-05-26 06:17:31

seth

Domoto wrote:

My system fails before the boot loader I believe.

leonavis wrote:

Can you access Bios at least?

Domoto wrote:

When I press the power button for the computer The fan stops for a second and continues as it enters the GIGABYTE Boot screen
Usually when the boot hangs, the CPU fan does not stop and continue.

'cause: does this imply you're not entering the "GIGABYTE Boot screen"?

And make sure to disable all autoloading of the bootloader so that you'll get there and it waits for you to actually do something before it tries to boot a system - which should clarify whether it's the bootloader itself or the OS.

I do get microcode hardware errors every time I boot

Please post a complete system journal after getting those errors:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

When I used to use windows

Is there still a windows installation?

Board footer