You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-08 19:53:15

newsboost

Noob thoughts/questions about installing local (not on AUR) packages

Hi

I know that pacman -Qe lists all installed packages. In my case I've locally installed python-ipydatawidgets, so I can do:

$ yay -Qi python-ipydatawidgets
Name            : python-ipydatawidgets
Version         : 4.3.1.post1-00
Description     : A set of widgets to help facilitate reuse of large datasets across widgets
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://github.com/vidartf/ipydatawidgets

But if I write yay -Ss python-ipydatawidgets, nothing is shown - because it's not a remote package that has been made accessible via the AUR. Do you guys install packages locally a lot, without making them accessible in the AUR? Is that typically for something like this, which probably doesn't have many users? The next is that if I/we don't remember to clean up quickly after having installed the package, then I might forget it's even there because I typically use yay -Ss (part-of-package-name) | grep -i install when I search for packages that are installed, but that will not help in this case... How do you see packages which are installed, but not remotely accessible via the AUR? The AUR submission guidelines say:

If more than a few people would find this package useful, it is appropriate for submission.

I don't think many people are interested in python-ipydatawidgets but sure there are some. So I suppose I can submit it then? It would be nice to hear any thoughts from some of you, as I'm not that experienced yet (I only have 1 package in the AUR), thanks?

#2 2022-06-08 20:48:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Noob thoughts/questions about installing local (not on AUR) packages

1. Pacman is your package manager, use that to query the database, yay is an AUR helper. Stop confusing the two.

2. If I install a package locally, I add it to the group 'modified' and then I can query the db with: `pacman -Qg modified`.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2022-06-09 10:23:13

Lone_Wolf

I have all my aur & local packages in my own custom local repo .

'pacman -Sl reponame'  shows me what is in it, which version it is and whether it's installed.
(works for all repos listed in pacman.conf )

NOTE :
-l / --list  for pacman -Q / --query and pacman -S / --sync give very different information and are basically separate commands.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2022-06-09 20:40:39

newsboost

jasonwryan wrote:

1. Pacman is your package manager, use that to query the database, yay is an AUR helper. Stop confusing the two.

2. If I install a package locally, I add it to the group 'modified' and then I can query the db with: `pacman -Qg modified`.

1) Ah, yes, sorry - and thanks for making it clear.
2) I was completely unaware of the possiblity to add "local-only" packages to such a group. So I searched around - I assume it's just something like here: https://technibuzz.com/how-to-install-a … rch-linux/ ? That is very valuable information for me, thanks a lot, I think I'll use this approach in the future, thanks a lot!

#5 2022-06-09 20:47:02

newsboost

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I have all my aur & local packages in my own custom local repo .

'pacman -Sl reponame'  shows me what is in it, which version it is and whether it's installed.
(works for all repos listed in pacman.conf )

NOTE :
-l / --list  for pacman -Q / --query and pacman -S / --sync give very different information and are basically separate commands.

Also very very valuable and helpful for me, thanks a lot! This sounds a bit more advanced than what Jason suggested (but not too complicated). I think I'll try both your methods in near future (I'm struggling with figuring out exactly what I messed with yesterday, which packages I created locally and how and am on another computer now so I cannot at the moment test the better methods suggested here). Both methods (your method and the one by Jason) looks great, I'll keep that in mind and thanks a lot writing this!

#6 2022-06-09 20:51:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

newsboost wrote:

2) I was completely unaware of the possiblity to add "local-only" packages to such a group. So I searched around - I assume it's just something like here: https://technibuzz.com/how-to-install-a … rch-linux/ ?

No. Don't read those stupid blog posts; they just recycle wiki content for ad revenue and are generally out-of-date, or wrong, or both.

You just create a group of your choosing by adding it to the array in the PKGBUILDs of the applications you install.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2022-06-09 21:07:35

progandy

newsboost wrote:

figuring out exactly what I messed with yesterday, which packages I created locally

If the locally built packages have names that are not in the AUR and not in the pacman repository, then you can fetch a list of all AUR packages and compare it with your "foreign" (locally installed including AUR) packages.

$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.gz
$ comm -23 <(pacman -Qqm | sort) <(zcat packages.gz | sort)

All your pacman operations are logged in /var/log/pacman.log as well, so you can use that to figure out what you did.

Last edited by progandy (2022-06-09 21:08:59)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2022-06-10 07:26:34

newsboost

jasonwryan wrote:

You just create a group of your choosing by adding it to the array in the PKGBUILDs of the applications you install.

Ooh, that sounds really nice, thanks for sharing this info. I have some more (spare-) time in the weekend to mess with such things, I'll try it out soon but expect no problems, so things will work better for me in the future. Thanks!

#9 2022-06-10 07:32:29

newsboost

progandy wrote:
$ cd /tmp
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.gz
$ comm -23 <(pacman -Qqm | sort) <(zcat packages.gz | sort)

All your pacman operations are logged in /var/log/pacman.log as well, so you can use that to figure out what you did.

Also a really really nice tip, thanks a lot for sharing this too! I just tried it on the computer I'm currently using and it shows nothing but in the weekend I'll go back to testing what I did just before I asked this question (I tried to install "pythreejs", having 2 dependencies but things are not fully working so I don't think I'll push to the AUR). I'll add these things to a text-document I have so I don't remember the proper workflow in the future, thanks all, very valuable and much appreciated, definitely something I can use in my future MAKEPKG-journey!

Board footer