You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-11 13:43:12

EmErAJID

Help find proper place at Arch Wiki

Hi.

I just spent 5 hours messing with systemd. Brief description is below.

Some external HDDs are not powered off properly at system shutdown. Because of this they turn off with "high pitch sound", meaning the "hard" way of disk shutdown. In such conditions disks do not live long. When working long hours (especially when things do not work in the end) you may often forget to do the job by hands, so it is very convenient to setup automatic disk power off.
To do this the systemd seems to be the only convenient option, but we face a problem described here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247424
Guy from the thread fixes the problem by using 'hddparm', however, at least Seagate Expansion Portable does not work with 'hddparm', the only solution being 'udisksctl'. And this is quite popular external disk.

I found a way to make 'udisksctl' work at shutdown and thought it should be written somewhere on Arch Wiki, but I am confused as to *where* I should do it.

What my solution includes:
Creating one supplementary systemd.target, one systemd.service and writing one bash script.

Thank you in advance.

#2 2022-06-11 13:53:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Help find proper place at Arch Wiki

Maybe you could add a subsection entitled "Automatically power off disks before shutdown" under the Tips and tricks section of the systemd wiki page. That seems to be the most relevant place to me but I may be wrong.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2022-06-11 19:35:15

EmErAJID

Re: Help find proper place at Arch Wiki

Submitted to Arch Wiki using Xyne's consideration.

Board footer