You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-26 15:39:37

rafaellancas

[SOLVED] Is it possible to install Wine on Arch Linux?

Is it possible to install Wine on Arch Linux?

I'm trying to but I always get "failed to make" errors. One thing that I noticed on Arch is that sometimes yay doesn't install dependencies, could it be something related to that? If so, should I copy all the dependencies listed on the AUR page and install them? If so, isn't there an easier way to install all of them besides copying one by one individually?

Last edited by rafaellancas (2022-06-27 00:26:35)

#2 2022-06-26 15:45:43

seth

#3 2022-06-26 15:49:14

rafaellancas

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to install Wine on Arch Linux?

Thank you! That did the trick! Is there a big difference between Pacman and YAY?

#4 2022-06-26 15:58:09

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_he … n_wrappers - see the warning.
You probably didn't have the multilib repo enabled and/or yay tried to install some custom wine package from the AUR.

In general you should refrain from using any AUR helpers before you understand the process they seek to automize to avoid being subjected to flaws in their abstraction.

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

#5 2022-06-27 00:27:27

rafaellancas

Thank you again! From what I understood, yay does the whole "git clone make install" while pacman does something closer to apt on ubuntu, right?

#6 2022-06-27 00:37:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

rafaellancas wrote:

yay does the whole "git clone make install" ... right?

No.  Wrong, at least half wrong.  If you mean "git clone" for the upstream source, then 100% wrong.

seth wrote:

In general you should refrain from using any AUR helpers before you understand the process they seek to automize...

In other words, understand makepkg and PKGBUILDs before you use yay.  And by the time you understand makepkg and PKGBUILDs you may not want to use yay.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-06-29 03:09:26

rafaellancas

Trilby wrote:
rafaellancas wrote:

No.  Wrong, at least half wrong.  If you mean "git clone" for the upstream source, then 100% wrong.

seth wrote:

In general you should refrain from using any AUR helpers before you understand the process they seek to automize...

In other words, understand makepkg and PKGBUILDs before you use yay.  And by the time you understand makepkg and PKGBUILDs you may not want to use yay.

Thank you! Do you know where I can learn about this? I tried to google both of them but was unable to find any good explanations.

#8 2022-06-29 03:15:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

rafaellancas wrote:
Trilby wrote:
rafaellancas wrote:

seth wrote:

Thank you! Do you know where I can learn about this? I tried to google both of them but was unable to find any good explanations.

You can't be googling very hard. Your first stop should always be the wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PKGBUILD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Makepkg

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2022-06-29 03:21:49

rafaellancas

jasonwryan wrote:
rafaellancas wrote:
Trilby wrote:

You can't be googling very hard. Your first stop should always be the wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PKGBUILD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Makepkg

I'm going to check that out! Thank you very much!

Board footer