You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-29 01:35:37

srgrusso

unzip disable zipbomb detection

Im building an Android custom rom and I'm getting the following error with unzip 6.0-18

ExternalError: Failed to run command '['unzip', '-o', '-q', '/mnt/Android-Source/Bliss-arcadia-next-testing/out/target/product/lemonadep/obj/PACKAGING/target_files_intermediates/bliss_lemonadep-target_files-eng.srgrusso.zip', '-d', '/mnt/Android-Source/Bliss-arcadia-next-testing/out/soong/.temp/targetfiles-QY1RYM', 'SYSTEM/etc/vintf/*', 'VENDOR/etc/vintf/*', 'ODM/etc/vintf/*', 'SYSTEM_EXT/etc/vintf/*', 'ODM/etc/*', 'META/*', '*/build.prop']' (exit code 12):
error: invalid zip file with overlapped components (possible zip bomb)
 To unzip the file anyway, rerun the command with UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=TRUE environmnent variable

If I export UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true in my terminal session I can manualy unzip it.  But my build enviroment ignores the variable.  So I tried adding export UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true to /etc/environment But my build enviroment ignores this too.
The only solution I have been able to find so far is to downgrade to unzip 6.0-13.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

#2 2022-06-29 01:53:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: unzip disable zipbomb detection

Can you edit whatever calls zip to prepend that variable?  If not, then perhaps just create a wrapper script called unzip higher in your PATH:

#!/bin/sh
UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true /bin/unzip "$@"

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-06-29 01:57:16

srgrusso

Trilby wrote:

Can you edit whatever calls zip to prepend that variable?  If not, then perhaps just create a wrapper script called unzip higher in your PATH:

#!/bin/sh
UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true /bin/unzip "$@"

I never thought of your script idea.  Would I use it they way you have it written?

#4 2022-06-29 06:09:57

seth

I export UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true in my terminal session … my build enviroment ignores the variable … adding export UNZIP_DISABLE_ZIPBOMB_DETECTION=true to /etc/environment … build enviroment ignores this

1. what /is/ your build environment™ ?
2. was is started out of the terminal where you exported the variable?
3. did you re-login after editing /etc/environment ?

The build environment™ calls unzip w/o an absolute path, so if you add the script as "unzip" anywhere higher up in whatever the build environment™ considers $PATH and make it executable, it'll invoke that instead, yes.

Board footer