You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-03 06:33:46

undeadalex

[RESOLVED]NVIDIA GeForce MX250 & Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver issues

Greetings, I previously posted here.. While I was able to get my GPU running, and verified it using nvidia-smi, I am a total newbie with configuring GPU drivers and the current method and usage of my GPU is far from ideal. Many games are refusing to load still and I suspect I have failed to properly configure the GPUs drivers properly.

System Info:
Hardware Specs

CPU: Intel i7-8550U (8) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620

pacman -Qqd

pacman -Qqd | grep nvidia:

lib32-nvidia-utils
nvidia-utils

pacman -Qqd | grep f86:

lib32-libxxf86vm
libxxf86vm
xf86-input-libinput

Steps Taken:

1. Installed Prime and prime-run. This results in me actually being able to use prime-run to run graphical things like games, using the GPU, if only manually.

2. In Steam, I have added:

prime-run %command%

Which allows games to actually run through the GPU, as confirmed by nvidia-smi:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 515.48.07    Driver Version: 515.48.07    CUDA Version: 11.7     |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |                               |                      |               MIG M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
    | N/A   49C    P0    N/A /  N/A |     61MiB /  2048MiB |     11%      Default |
    |                               |                      |                  N/A |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
    |  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
    |        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |    0   N/A  N/A    187845      G   ...AAAAAAAAA= --shared-files       60MiB |

Game using GPU in above: Stellaris Launcher
    However most games are still not running properly, are laggy, or just refuse to launch. Elite Dangerous requires I add

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1

to run, and will still freeze when loading assets.

3. I have also amended the mkinitcpio.conf:

MODULES=(btrfs nouveau)
    BINARIES=(/usr/bin/btrfs)
    FILES=()
    HOOKS=(base udev autodetect keyboard keymap modconf block encrypt filesystems fsck)

I followed the instructions here for this. This has not had an effect on the GPU's usability

4. Tried running nvidia-xconfig:

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration
             file.

New X configuration file written to
    '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

output file: /etc/X11/xorg.con:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 515.48.07

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

NOTE:I always wind up needing to delete this xorg.conf. As when I reboot the system my desktop manager freezes and I cannot use my system until I

ctrl+alt+f2

and log in non graphically. Then I can delete this file. Obviously theres some kind of conflict that I am unsure how to resolve.

xrandr --listproviders output:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

This is the infuriating part, as prime appears to allow me to use the dedicated to offload stuff using xrandr, but since its not listed here, obviously that means I can't make that work.

Other details:

• Most of my steam games are still not functioning properly even with the added launch parameter.

• I have tried a bunch of other random things and am really not sure how to proceed. I just want my Integrated and dedicated GPUs to work together how they should, and for the integrated to pass off big stuff to the dedicated as it should be doing.

• I am using i3-wm, not sure if that matters

Additionally:

I am certain there is more info I can provide, and will amend this post when requested. As this is new to me please let me know which command or where a log would be if you think it would be helpful to see. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by undeadalex (2022-07-04 00:47:31)

He was once a man, then he was almost killed, a mob hit gone wrong. Now we can rebuild him, we have the tools, we have FOSS, he will be better. He will be Alex, he will live again!

#2 2022-07-03 10:46:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED]NVIDIA GeForce MX250 & Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver issues

Don't use nvidia-xconfig to generate configs, it does and will break prime setups as you've noticed. this should "just work" without a custom Xorg configuration.   Since you used Qq and not just Q we do not know which versions are at play here. There's a bug in the archinstall script if you used that which will enable multilib-testing but not any of the other testing repos which can lead to this kind of breakage, check your /etc/pacman.conf that this isn't the case if it is the case, remove/comment multilib-testing and run

pacman -Syuu

to ensure the versions of lib32-nvidia-utils and nvidia-utils match

Your initramfs adjustment is also wrong, you don't want to load nouveau, but nvidia nvidia-drm nvidia-uvm as well as i915 for the igpu: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … de_setting

If you've ensured these two things and it still doesn't work, post a Xorg log as well as terminal output from trying to launch an affected game. FWIW to check whether your vulkan setup works correctly install vulkan-tools and post

vulkaninfo --summary

I'm also somewhat skeptical about that providers line, did you create any custom config where you reference the driver as "intel" ? Normally with a bog standard setup without trying any configs, I'd expect that to read modesetting (and the nvidia card to be visible)

#3 2022-07-03 11:58:11

undeadalex

V1del wrote:

Don't use nvidia-xconfig to generate configs, it does and will break prime setups as you've noticed. this should "just work" without a custom Xorg configuration.   Since you used Qq and not just Q we do not know which versions are at play here. There's a bug in the archinstall script if you used that which will enable multilib-testing but not any of the other testing repos which can lead to this kind of breakage, check your /etc/pacman.conf that this isn't the case if it is the case, remove/comment multilib-testing and run

pacman -Syuu

to ensure the versions of lib32-nvidia-utils and nvidia-utils match

I had actually used the archinstaller this time and noticed the multilib-testing branch was added and commented it out shortly after install. Thanks for this, thought it was odd it was included.
I hadn't thought to omit q. here is the result of pacman -Q

V1del wrote:

Your initramfs adjustment is also wrong, you don't want to load nouveau, but nvidia nvidia-drm nvidia-uvm as well as i915 for the igpu: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … de_setting

Ok I have done this and rebooted. I am seeing a load now on the Geforce Card from xorg. Which is good I assume:

| NVIDIA-SMI 515.57       Driver Version: 515.57       CUDA Version: 11.7     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   45C    P8    N/A /  N/A |      6MiB /  2048MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      1649      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                       4MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      7246      G   ...te Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe        0MiB |
V1del wrote:

If you've ensured these two things and it still doesn't work, post a Xorg log as well as terminal output from trying to launch an affected game. FWIW to check whether your vulkan setup works correctly install vulkan-tools and post

vulkaninfo --summary

Ok here is the steam output from launching Elite Dangerous with no extra paremeters. Now that I've rebooted the game will not launch period, with or without this addition:

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 prime-run %command%

And here are the Errors from the Xorg File. Thanks for this, that section of the wiki is very helpful(linking pastebin and showing below):

[    21.424] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[    21.427] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[    21.427] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[    22.174] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[    22.174] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[    22.174] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver i965
[    22.490] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/PNP0C14:00/wmi_bus/wmi_bus-PNP0C14:00/409B028D-F06B-4C7C-8BBB-EE133A6BD87E/input/input20/event16"

and finally, vulkaninfo --summary yields this (I'm guessing I may have a problem with Vulkan?):

ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.217/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:667:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY

Update: So I stumbled across this post, which got me thinking, did I have some AMD drivers floating around my system? I did use the archinstaller this go around.... And Sure enough I did. The culprit:

amdvlk 2022.Q2.3-1 [installed]

Not at all sure why this was downloaded?

Below is the new output from vulkaninfo --summary:

==========
VULKANINFO
==========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.217

Instance Extensions: count = 19
-------------------------------
VK_EXT_acquire_xlib_display            : extension revision 1
VK_EXT_debug_report                    : extension revision 10
VK_EXT_debug_utils                     : extension revision 2
VK_EXT_direct_mode_display             : extension revision 1
VK_EXT_display_surface_counter         : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_device_group_creation           : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_display                         : extension revision 23
VK_KHR_external_fence_capabilities     : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_external_memory_capabilities    : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_external_semaphore_capabilities : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_get_display_properties2         : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2 : extension revision 2
VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2       : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_portability_enumeration         : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_surface                         : extension revision 25
VK_KHR_surface_protected_capabilities  : extension revision 1
VK_KHR_wayland_surface                 : extension revision 6
VK_KHR_xcb_surface                     : extension revision 6
VK_KHR_xlib_surface                    : extension revision 6

Instance Layers: count = 5
--------------------------
VK_LAYER_NV_optimus               NVIDIA Optimus layer         1.3.205  version 1
VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_fossilize_32 Steam Pipeline Caching Layer 1.2.136  version 1
VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_fossilize_64 Steam Pipeline Caching Layer 1.2.136  version 1
VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_overlay_32   Steam Overlay Layer          1.2.136  version 1
VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_overlay_64   Steam Overlay Layer          1.2.136  version 1

Devices:
========
GPU0:
	apiVersion         = 4206797 (1.3.205)
	driverVersion      = 2161000448 (0x80ce4000)
	vendorID           = 0x10de
	deviceID           = 0x1d52
	deviceType         = PHYSICAL_DEVICE_TYPE_DISCRETE_GPU
	deviceName         = NVIDIA GeForce MX250
	driverID           = DRIVER_ID_NVIDIA_PROPRIETARY
	driverName         = NVIDIA
	driverInfo         = 515.57
	conformanceVersion = 1.3.1.0
	deviceUUID         = 8286921f-75ea-7286-ed59-e0e6d2dd8afb
	driverUUID         = 9b799bb9-29e0-5c8d-9f6d-28dae6381a33
V1del wrote:

I'm also somewhat skeptical about that providers line, did you create any custom config where you reference the driver as "intel" ? Normally with a bog standard setup without trying any configs, I'd expect that to read modesetting (and the nvidia card to be visible)

So after the changes to my initramfs, here is what I get for providers:

Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
Provider 1: id: 0x222 cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-G0

So I think fixing that has solved that issue.

Still seems to be a problem launching and running games with the GPU. Thanks for your response and help.

I will check a few more things and if all is well close this post as SOLVED in the morning. This has been illuminating

Last edited by undeadalex (2022-07-03 13:37:53)

He was once a man, then he was almost killed, a mob hit gone wrong. Now we can rebuild him, we have the tools, we have FOSS, he will be better. He will be Alex, he will live again!

#4 2022-07-03 13:32:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please post the full xorg log without filtering. i965 shouldn't be attempted to be used. What do you get from

grep -iR intel /{etc,usr/share}/X11
glxinfo -B #Needs mesa-demos
strace glxinfo -B |& grep open #Needs strace

Edit: Ah yeah that could explain things, it was probably installed when you installed steam there will be a prompt as to which potential vulkan drivers you want to install,  if you press enter there without selecting the correct driver for your system amdvlk will be default due to alphabetical precedence.

Last edited by V1del (2022-07-03 14:04:17)

#5 2022-07-04 00:44:55

undeadalex

V1del wrote:

Please post the full xorg log without filtering. i965 shouldn't be attempted to be used. What do you get from

glxinfo -B #Needs mesa-demos
strace glxinfo -B |& grep open #Needs strace

Edit: Ah yeah that could explain things, it was probably installed when you installed steam there will be a prompt as to which potential vulkan drivers you want to install,  if you press enter there without selecting the correct driver for your system amdvlk will be default due to alphabetical precedence.

So last night I tried a few different games and rebooted the system several times just to check.

Things seems fully functional now. I have removed any extra run parameters from games such as elite dangerous and they are booting and running just fine.

Here are the complete Xorg Logs, I'm not sure if there are still any major issues. As soon as I removed the AMD driver Vulkaninfo worked as well.

Here are the other outputs requested:

/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base:              ibm_spacesaver inspiron intel ipaq itouch \
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml:        <vendor>Intel</vendor>
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml:        <vendor>Intel</vendor>
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg:              ibm_spacesaver inspiron intel ipaq itouch \
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml:        <vendor>Intel</vendor>
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/inet:// Intel
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/inet:// Intel Classmate
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ru:// Vlad Shakhov <lumpen.intellectual@gmail.com>
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us:// Intel ClassmatePC Keyboard Layout

glxinfo -B

name of display: :1
display: :1  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) (0x5917)
    Version: 22.1.2
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 12794MB
    Unified memory: yes
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.6
    Max compat profile version: 4.6
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.1.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.1.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.1.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

strace glxinfo -B |& grep open

I'm not sure what the issue is with the i965 though. The system seems to be running better now though and have continued to confirm with nvidia-smi that the dedicated is doing the heavy lifting again. Please feel free to have a look at the logs still and if I still need to fine tune I am happy to do so. For now I will mark this as resolved, as my primary issue appears to have been solved. You have been most helpful V1del, thank you much! I'm happy to be part of this community.

#6 2022-07-04 13:27:36

V1del
Forum Moderator

I have a feeling this is an old log file or your pacman -Q outputs weren't complete. The only other general suggestion i have is to remove xf86-video-intel as the modesetting driver built into xorg tends to work better on newer chips, other than that things look mostly correct in these last outputs.

Board footer