You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-05 09:03:42

rad95

[SOLVED] Bootup hangs at [ok] Reached target graphical interface

Hello!  After installing the arch, after a short time after turning off, a black screen began to appear.  If I start with nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0, then loading stucks at [ok] Reached target graphical interface.  I can login to tty with this.  The first time I solved it with

pacman -Syu

, then with

mkinitcpio -p linux

command, but the third time none of these worked.  I use xorg, refind, my graphics card is rx 590, dualbooting with win10.

Last edited by rad95 (2022-07-12 16:01:46)

#2 2022-07-05 09:07:38

rad95

Re: [SOLVED] Bootup hangs at [ok] Reached target graphical interface

Uhm, Okay, the system somehow started up when I remove nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0, and before that it was black without them.  But I think it might happen again.

Last edited by rad95 (2022-07-05 09:08:28)

#3 2022-07-05 10:11:04

rad95

And yeah, again black screen

#4 2022-07-05 10:25:25

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

You have disabled windows fastboot & hibernation as described at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_b … ibernation ?

If yes, try configuring early kms loading.
see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … _KMS_start

Welcome to archlinux forums

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2022-07-05 10:26:00)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#5 2022-07-05 14:44:00

ewaller
Administrator

Also, if/when it happens again, see if you can change to a different console use Ctrl-Alt- F3.  Try all Fn where n = 1 -> 6  (I think 6 is the last console -- I could be wrong)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2022-07-05 16:26:08

gh0stzk

Its ok now, i try an installation 4 hours ago and have same error, now 1 hour ago mkinitcpio just get an update and problem solved. No more warning generating modules .

#7 2022-07-05 18:24:46

rad95

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You have disabled windows fastboot & hibernation as described at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_b … ibernation ?

If yes, try configuring early kms loading.
see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … _KMS_start

Thanks, i disabled windows fastboot and hibernation, but the problem remained. When I did mkinitсpio, I didn't pay attention to some of the warnings. It turned out to be a bug that was fixed in the new version. I updated it and I hope everything will be fine now.

#8 2022-07-05 18:26:00

rad95

gh0stzk wrote:

Its ok now, i try an installation 4 hours ago and have same error, now 1 hour ago mkinitcpio just get an update and problem solved. No more warning generating modules .

Thanks for the tip, updated it and now I hope everything will be fine (i also have no warnings)

#9 2022-07-05 18:27:05

rad95

ewaller wrote:

Also, if/when it happens again, see if you can change to a different console use Ctrl-Alt- F3.  Try all Fn where n = 1 -> 6  (I think 6 is the last console -- I could be wrong)

Yes, i can(f6 is actually last). They are working without ctrl btw, is it good?:D

#10 2022-07-05 18:35:06

ewaller
Administrator

rad95 wrote:

is it good?:D

Yes and no.  It means that the boot did not hang and actually finished normally.  Apparently as part of the boot process, when the graphical target started, an Xorg (or Wayland) session was supposedly started, but is not working, and is not displaying anything.
So -- no need to look at the boot process, and time to start diagnosing the problem with Xorg (or Wayland)

You can change to one of the consoles and log in, then look at the journal, and at the output of commands such as systemctl status to figure out what is, and isn't working.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2022-07-06 08:50:43

rad95

So i got black screen again and was able to boot correctly with "amdgpu.dc=0". Waiting again if an error occurs. If someone have the same problem also try to run with "amdgpu.runpm=0".

After successful boot in Xorg.0.log, before the successful loading of amdgpu, it says that ati module could not be loaded. As far as I understand, this error can be ignored? Because I already have amdgpu installed, and ati is needed for outdated video cards.
Also it says that fbdev is not loaded. As far as I understand, this is also an "optional" package, because instead of it, I successfully load vesa. Someone else on the forum said that fbdev will be faster than vesa, is that true?
And last one is "AMDGPU(0): Failed to make import prime FD as pixmap: 22". I did not found any info about this.
(i can't login to the console when i get a black screen, these are the logs from a successfully started system)

Last edited by rad95 (2022-07-06 09:23:56)

Board footer