You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-20 08:17:54

gioele.sb95

Very high SSD temperature and power consumption

Greetings, I am quite new to arch linux in laptops (I have it installed also in a desktop), and I noticed that (as fedora and every manjaro flavours I tried) my SSD is really high in temperatures (78 C +) and battery doesn't last more than 3 hours (I can get 6-7 hours with TLP on ubuntu-based distros, which seems to be the only distro in which I don't get this problem). I searched for about two hours about this problem but there seems to be no response on the internet, nor anybody having this specific issue. On ubuntu the SSD stays at 33 C. My Laptop SSD is a KIOXIA 256GB  NVMe drive and I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5406 laptop with a fresh install of arch linux and KDE as my DE. This thing happens even before loading the display manager because I can immediately feel the heat from the area around the SSD, so there are no processes screwing up my SSD (I checked with iotop and confirmed my teory).
Any help would be appreciated...

#2 2022-07-20 14:30:16

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Very high SSD temperature and power consumption

Okay, but what happens when you run Arch Linux? 

We have no idea how Fedora or Manjaro configure the drive.  Is it a stand alone SATA drice, or PCIe? Or M.2? 
I agree that 78C is too hot.  But, what are the other temperatures?  I doubt anything is running at 33C in Europe this week.  What are the ambient temperatures, CPU temperatures, GPU temeratures?
What file system are you using? Why?

As you set up your Arch system, work through https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_state_drive and https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-07-20 14:53:16

gioele.sb95

@ewaller
thank you for your reply...
The SSD is an NVMe Drive, so an M.2 PCIe Drive (gen 3 x4) and yes, in my house (A/C on) the SSD on ubuntu stays at 33 C, maximum 37. CPU temperatures are in check (50 C maximum on light load) and I don't have a discrete GPU. I installed Arch using ext4 file system since I think that it's the snappier one, at least for me. I alreay looked at those two wiki pages, tried very aggressive settings with TLP and enabling TRIM...

#4 2022-07-20 15:08:10

ewaller
Administrator

I would say to check your fans, but based upon the battery life, something is definitely drawing more power.  Have you played with powertop?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer