You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-03 21:45:00

Desdra

[Solved] How to change the file picker for the browser

Hi everyone,

After some research I can't find the settigns I'm searching for so I come to ask you guys.

When using Firefox or chromium, when I want to pick a file to upload I am greeted with a GUI that is not Dolphin (https://imgur.com/a/ioliWL9).
I don't know how to change which app is used but I want to do it because this one is kinda crappy. Do any of you have an idea on how to do that ?

Last edited by Desdra (2020-06-03 23:21:54)

#2 2020-06-03 22:45:01

Ropid

Re: [Solved] How to change the file picker for the browser

This is not possible. It's built into the program and can't be changed. It depends on the program using GTK or Qt. Firefox is GTK so you'll see the GTK file chooser. And in a Qt program you'll see the Qt file chooser. You will never see Dolphin, your file manager can't influence this at all.

There might be a patched version of the browser somewhere that has a different file chooser. I remember there was a Firefox patched by the OpenSUSE distro that had a file chooser that fit into KDE.

Following on that idea about "patched version", I can right now see a "firefox-kde-opensuse" package in the AUR that looks interesting. Go and look at the comment page for that AUR package and see what's written there about the repo that provides the package. You need that repo because you can't realistically compile the package yourself. Compiling Firefox takes about an hour with a quad-core CPU.

#3 2020-06-03 22:53:58

Desdra

Thanks ! I will check this out and will come back if I find anything fitting !

#4 2020-06-03 23:06:36

Desdra

Ok as I now know what to search for (thanks to you) I found that if you launch firefox with

GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox

it will use dolphin as a file picker instead of the gtk file picker ! (you'll need the xdg-desktop-portal package).

However I did not find a solution for chromium derived browser yet.

#5 2020-06-03 23:21:12

Desdra

In fact it was so easy that I fell kind of ashamed, for chromium browsers you just have to install the kdialog package and you're good to go !

#6 2022-07-21 07:30:21

beyond9thousand

kdialog is a part of kde utilities, how can i fix this if I am using a window manager?

#7 2022-07-21 09:08:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

You install kdialog (... and/or rather xdg-desktop-portal-kde and start that somewhere) or suck it up. The file picker is bound to the toolkit and you can't arbitrarily change this, and the GTK picker is plain not too good but with the portal option and the like you can nudge it to use the Qt/KDE picker but afaik there's no other Qt based portal other than the KDE one.

If you need more help than this please open a new thread, closing this old solved one.

Board footer