You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-05 09:36:38

duyinthee
Website

Being no systray is real comfortable for you?

Hello everyone, Let me discuss a little or ask some questions.
This maybe old topic but I don't find much discussing about it online.

I have been trying Ratpoison seriously for 3-5 days.
It is amazing. For me, its great and very fast.
I am comfortable with being no bar but one thing I feel lacked is systray.
I think some programs like nm-applet can not even be used without systray.

Is there anyone using wm like ratpoison without systray?
If so, could you please share your how you manage using computer without systray.

Is there any I can use in stead of systray?

Or could you please discuss your point of view on being no systray?

#2 2022-07-05 10:11:40

null

Re: Being no systray is real comfortable for you?

Haven't used a systray in more than 10 years. No idea what I would need it for. Maybe you should describe why you need it so badly instead of asking why we don't need it?

You can always use https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/stalonetray to get a tray in any X11 WM.

In my setup I have 6 virtual desktops where I just start programs and let them run. E.g. on desktop 1 there is usually an IDE running, on desktop 5 there is always a browser and on desktop 6 all communication related programs (Thunderbird, Signal, ..). The desktops between I just use for stuff that comes up.

#3 2022-07-05 15:27:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I don't like the systray for swaybar, it messes up my clean status line and just seems to show useless icons.

Why do you need one? What do you use it for?

duyinthee wrote:

I think some programs like nm-applet can not even be used without systray.

Have you tried nmtui(1)? I just use iwctl(1), I don't think that has a systray thingie. Not that I change connections often, or indeed ever.

#4 2022-07-16 14:54:15

duyinthee
Website

thanks for suggestions and sharing your experiences.
I have been using without systray and getting accustomed.

#5 2022-07-21 21:36:40

madthumbs

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p2048809

Last edited by madthumbs (2022-07-27 13:05:07)

#6 2022-07-21 23:10:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have not had a systemtray in about a decade, and when I had one it just came with the WM - I had no use for it.

duyinthee wrote:

If so, could you please share your how you manage using computer without systray.

Quite well, thank you.  A systray never "managed" anything for me so I manage just the same without one.

duyinthee wrote:

Is there any I can use in stead of systray?

There is a whole lot of software out there - but only some of it will meet your goals.  But you've not told us anything about your goals.

If your goal is to have something exactly like a systray, then you need a systray.

madthumbs wrote:

It can help notify you if caffeine is going to work or not

Can you elaborate on this?  I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean what it sounds like.  Why would caffeine "not work"?  And if it wasn't working, why would you assume any system tray indicator for it was giving accurate information about it not working?

Last edited by Trilby (2022-07-21 23:15:27)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-07-22 08:43:13

karabaja4
Website

For me, it's only useful for programs that would notify you about any new activity, e.g. Slack, Kvirc etc. so I'm aware something happened that requires my attention, e.g. I received 1-1 message or a mention in Slack (the icon becomes red). That's the only use case for which I'm keeping it around.

#8 2022-07-22 12:33:14

Irets

I couldn't think of using a computer without a systray, but that likely comes from old habits and lack of experience trying to use a computer for extended periods of time without a systray.

Not using ratpoisonWM, but I chose fight with various conflicting patches on dwm with multimonitors to get my systray, rather than living without it.
Certain applications like Steam, Mumble, RuneLite & QBitTorrent provide handy functionality when left/right clicking the systray icons, or just informing you about how many instances of said application are open.

The systray icon for Mumble changes when you're transmitting voice through your microphone or when the microphone is muted.

Last edited by Irets (2022-07-22 12:34:01)

Board footer