You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-23 19:20:17

JaydenDev

jd-64, my software repository!

So, I googled how to make an arch repository. The first thing that came up, the fact I could host my very own repository with nothing but github pages and a few commands! So I did it, I made a repository. I wasn't sure where to announce this at first, but since Xyne showed off his repo here, just figured this was the spot.

To view more details, visit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unoffi … ries#jd-64

Nothing is signed, nothing. It's unsecure as can be. But I am working on that!

To avoid conflicts with the default Arch repositories, I will not supply packages already in said repositories. It will be purely AUR packages not already in said repos, or my software. If you want YOUR software in the repository. Just supply me with a PKGBUILD or an AUR link. And it will be BACKGROUND CHECKED and added shortly.

The reason I'm checking, is because this is a clean repository, with clean packages, that use good practices and won't break the system.
Since my own software doesn't use good practices, this isn't fair. ^

Package List:

fvwm 2.6.9-3
jdutils-bin 0.2.0-1
maui-calendar-git r8.b4907c7-1
maui-manager-git r22.f42eb96-1
maui-shell-git v0.5.0.r52.gb0ccd14-1
mksh 59.c-1
nscde 2.1-1
linux-xanmod 5.18.13-1
python311 3.11.0b4-1
yay 11.2.0-1

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 00:42:42)

System Specs:
Intel Core i5-2400 Nvidia GTX 1050ti Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury (Mouse) BestBuy Essentials USB Keyboard
Software Specifications:
Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma Window Manager: KWin Operating System: Arch Linux (btw)

#2 2022-07-23 19:43:30

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: jd-64, my software repository!

The reason I'm checking, is because this is a clean repository, with clean packages, that use good practices and won't break the system.

Yet, the first package you've added is a pacman wrapper with a long history of breakage...

You should also publish the PKGBUILD sources somewhere.

Last edited by Alad (2022-07-23 19:46:34)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2022-07-23 19:48:32

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:

Yet, the first package you've added is a pacman wrapper with a long history of breakage...

You should also publish the PKGBUILD sources somewhere.

I'd have a list on my website, if there was a way to NOT have to add a new link to an html page every new package or update.

System Specs:
Intel Core i5-2400 Nvidia GTX 1050ti Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury (Mouse) BestBuy Essentials USB Keyboard
Software Specifications:
Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma Window Manager: KWin Operating System: Arch Linux (btw)

#4 2022-07-23 19:49:33

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I don't see your point - you could have a github repo just for the sources.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5 2022-07-23 19:53:14

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:

I don't see your point - you could have a github repo just for the sources.

it's all PKGBUILDS, always has been. PKGBUILDS straight from the AUR as well.

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#6 2022-07-23 20:06:37

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

PKGBUILDs can include arbitrary code. So where can we see yours?

#7 2022-07-23 20:10:10

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:

PKGBUILDs can include arbitrary code. So where can we see yours?

https://github.com/JaydenDev/jd-64/tree … /PKGBUILDs

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#8 2022-07-24 00:07:30

JaydenDev

Sorry, but I want to add more packages. And don't wish to painfully upload and update every single PKGBUILD in the repo just to make people 'trust' the repository.

Unfortunately, with how many packages I'm adding. I can barely keep up adding the PKGBUILD files one by one. But guess what, I've found a solution to that. Aliases! I can make an alias and automate the process.

https://github.com/JaydenDev/jd-64/comm … 5a6dd877f5

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 00:39:30)

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#9 2022-07-24 00:34:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I applaud your consistent desire to contribute something useful to this community - but you need to walk before you run.  Specifically:

JaydenDev wrote:

You do not know what good practices are.  This is painfully evident from your code.  That may sound harsh ('cause, it is harsh, I believe it's unavoidable); and it'd not be called for if you were trying to learn and accepting feedback.  Everyone starts as a novice.  Everyone writes some really bad code when getting started.  But a novice should not publish bad software and claim to be qualified to check other software for "good practices".

JaydenDev wrote:

Sorry, but I... don't wish to painfully upload and update every single PKGBUILD in the repo just to make people 'trust' the repository.

Then don't share the repository.  This is sounding less and less like a genuine attempt to contribute and more and more like a resume booster.  Are you (ab)using this community just to list some fluffed up credentials / experience?

Last edited by Trilby (2022-07-24 00:36:55)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2022-07-24 00:37:55

JaydenDev

Trilby wrote:

I applaud your consistent desire to contribute something useful to this community - but you need to walk before you run.  Specifically:

JaydenDev wrote:

You do not know what good practices are.  This is painfully evident from your code.  That may sound harsh ('cause, it is harsh, I believe it's unavoidable); and it'd not be called for if you were trying to learn and accepting feedback.  Everyone starts as a novice.  Everyone writes some really bad code when getting started.  But a novice should not publish bad software and claim to be qualified to check other software for "good practices".

JaydenDev wrote:

Sorry, but I... don't wish to painfully upload and update every single PKGBUILD in the repo just to make people 'trust' the repository.

Then don't share the repository.  This is sounding less and less like a genuine attempt to contribute and more and more like a resume booster.  Are you (ab)using this community just to list some fluffed up credentials / experience?

No. I probably should of phrased the OP (and the one you quoted) of this topic differently.

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 00:38:40)

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#11 2022-07-24 00:45:35

JaydenDev

Alright, OP and quoted post fixed to be less.. whatever you call it? I'll try to be more 'subtle'.

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#12 2022-07-24 00:51:03

JaydenDev

I'm reverting my previous decision to no longer provide PKGBUILD files. Instead, I will scale down the amount of packages I add, and re-add the PKGBUILDs.

Update: Next time I have time, the rest of the PKGBUILD files will be uploaded. For some reason not all of them copied..

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 01:00:38)

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#13 2022-07-24 01:48:40

JaydenDev

you can now view details about every package in the repository with ease at: https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64/
as well, now all PKGBUILD files used to build these packages are in the GitHub repo of the repository.

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 02:06:03)

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#14 2022-07-24 13:15:04

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

JaydenDev wrote:

you can now view details about every package in the repository with ease at: https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64/
as well, now all PKGBUILD files used to build these packages are in the GitHub repo of the repository.

Thank you smile

By the way, there are solutions to simplify hosting repository + website, e.g https://github.com/arcan1s/ahriman

#15 2022-07-24 14:36:21

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:
JaydenDev wrote:

Thank you :)

By the way, there are solutions to simplify hosting repository + website, e.g https://github.com/arcan1s/ahriman

Does it allow for viewing of PKGBUILDs?
Update: It might but it is sure painful to setup:

1. The command in the docs doesn't even work
2. I don't think the software works as a whole

   ~  sudo ahriman -a x86_64 repo-setup ... --packager=JaydenDev --repository="https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64"
    ~  mkdir dir                                                                                  INT ✘ 
    ~  cd dir                                                                                         ✔ 
    ~/dir  sudo ahriman -a x86_64 repo-setup . --packager=JaydenDev --repository="https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64"  
usage: ahriman [-h] [-a ARCHITECTURE] [-c CONFIGURATION] [--force] [-l LOCK] [--no-report] [-q] [--unsafe] [-V]
               {aur-search,search,help,help-commands-unsafe,key-import,package-add,add,package-update,package-remove,remove,package-status,status,package-status-remove,package-status-update,status-update,patch-add,patch-list,patch-remove,repo-backup,repo-check,check,repo-clean,clean,repo-config,config,repo-rebuild,rebuild,repo-remove-unknown,remove-unknown,repo-report,report,repo-restore,repo-setup,init,repo-init,setup,repo-sign,sign,repo-status-update,repo-sync,sync,repo-triggers,repo-update,update,shell,user-add,user-list,user-remove,version,web}
ahriman: error: unrecognized arguments: .
    ~/dir  sudo ahriman -a x86_64 repo-setup --packager=JaydenDev --repository="https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64" .
usage: ahriman [-h] [-a ARCHITECTURE] [-c CONFIGURATION] [--force] [-l LOCK] [--no-report] [-q] [--unsafe] [-V]
               {aur-search,search,help,help-commands-unsafe,key-import,package-add,add,package-update,package-remove,remove,package-status,status,package-status-remove,package-status-update,status-update,patch-add,patch-list,patch-remove,repo-backup,repo-check,check,repo-clean,clean,repo-config,config,repo-rebuild,rebuild,repo-remove-unknown,remove-unknown,repo-report,report,repo-restore,repo-setup,init,repo-init,setup,repo-sign,sign,repo-status-update,repo-sync,sync,repo-triggers,repo-update,update,shell,user-add,user-list,user-remove,version,web}
ahriman: error: unrecognized arguments: .
    ~/dir  sudo ahriman -a x86_64 repo-setup --packager=JaydenDev --repository="https://jdev.eu.org/jd-64"
[ERROR 2022-07-24 09:41:00,802] [MainThread] [stderr]: process exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/triggers/trigger_loader.py", line 111, in _load_module_from_package
    return importlib.import_module(package)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1050, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1027, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 883, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/upload/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    from ahriman.core.upload.s3 import S3
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/upload/s3.py", line 20, in <module>
    import boto3  # type: ignore
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'boto3'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/application/handlers/handler.py", line 99, in call
    cls.run(args, architecture, configuration, args.no_report, args.unsafe)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/application/handlers/setup.py", line 65, in run
    application = Application(architecture, configuration, no_report, unsafe)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/application/application/application_properties.py", line 50, in __init__
    self.repository = Repository(architecture, configuration, self.database, no_report, unsafe)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/repository/repository_properties.py", line 80, in __init__
    self.triggers = TriggerLoader(architecture, configuration)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/triggers/trigger_loader.py", line 71, in __init__
    self.triggers = [
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/triggers/trigger_loader.py", line 72, in <listcomp>
    self.load_trigger(trigger)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/triggers/trigger_loader.py", line 136, in load_trigger
    module = self._load_module_from_package(package_or_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ahriman/core/triggers/trigger_loader.py", line 113, in _load_module_from_package
    raise InvalidExtension(f"Module {package} not found")
ahriman.core.exceptions.InvalidExtension: Module ahriman.core.upload not found

the module its requesting cannot be installed through pip or pacman

Last edited by JaydenDev (2022-07-24 14:46:13)

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#16 2022-07-24 14:58:17

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

To me the main question is: is the concept interesting? If so, I'd spend some time with the author to iron out the kinks.

I've looked at a bunch of other tools as well: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/User:A … repo_tools

Last edited by Alad (2022-07-24 14:59:18)

#17 2022-07-24 17:11:30

JaydenDev

Multi-Architecture support will be added soon! One repo will be x86_64, the other will be any. Would this system work out?
https://jdev.eu.org/pkgs/x86_64
https://jdev.eu.org/pkgs/any

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#18 2022-07-24 18:05:03

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

An x86_64 repo can contain both x86_64 and any packages. So it's not necessary to separate them.

#19 2022-07-24 18:23:19

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:

An x86_64 repo can contain both x86_64 and any packages. So it's not necessary to separate them.

Say your on a 32 bit system. Would it really be worth adding an x86_64 repo?

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

#20 2022-07-24 19:36:42

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Sure, that's something x86 users might not want to do. Though, conversely, x86_64 users now have to add 2 repos instead of one.

I guess it depends on the amount of any packages, and what architectures you regularly use or want to support.

#21 2022-07-24 21:23:32

JaydenDev

Alad wrote:

Sure, that's something x86 users might not want to do. Though, conversely, x86_64 users now have to add 2 repos instead of one.

I guess it depends on the amount of any packages, and what architectures you regularly use or want to support.

I have an x86_64 system, I don't have any ARM systems, or any other architectures. Just a repo for bash scripts, which are for any architecture.

System Specs:
Software Specifications:

Board footer