You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-25 21:10:08

felamaslen

Thinkpad T16 resume from suspend crashes / freezes

When trying to resume from suspend on a new Lenovo Thinkpad T16 (Gen 1), it waits for about 10 seconds, then the screen comes on briefly, goes off again, comes back on, off again etc. The laptop heats up and becomes unusable. The only remedy is a hard reset. The behaviour is completely consistent on every attempted resume from any kind of suspend.

I've tried both in S3 ("Linux S3" in the UEFI settings) and s2idle mode.

I've tried using both the i915 and xf86-video-intel graphics drivers; same result in each case.

Output of `uname -a`:

Linux humboldt 5.18.14-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:46:17 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(I've also tested using linux-lts, i.e. 5.15, with the same result).

I'm about to send back the laptop as it's unusable without this feature. Anyone have any ideas before I do?

Last edited by felamaslen (2022-07-25 21:27:52)

#2 2022-07-26 13:20:16

JoeyCorleone

Re: Thinkpad T16 resume from suspend crashes / freezes

It looks like your issue is already being tracked upstream. You can try to add relevant feedback and follow the provided suggestions.

Unfortunately, it often takes some time for new machines to be properly supported under Linux if the manufacturer does not test it (or care).

Other stuff you can do:
- keep your system up to date (esp. the kernel),
- keep your system firmware (BIOS) up to date,
- try disabling async suspend/resume:

echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/power/pm_async

- try different acpi_os_name kernel parameters.

#3 2022-07-27 09:31:00

felamaslen

This is unfortunate - I was under the impression that Thinkpads supported Linux. Especially odd since there are entries in the UEFI settings and manual which specifically mention Linux, and you can order lots of these laptops with Linux preinstalled.

Last edited by felamaslen (2022-07-27 09:33:01)

#4 2022-07-28 11:22:05

JoeyCorleone

Well, it depends. If the manufacturer actually sells this specific model with Linux pre-installed, it should work out-of-the-box. And if it does not, you should contact Lenovo support.

If it is only sold with Windows preinstalled, it means that only Windows support was necessary to make the machine available for sale (from a business point of view). Full support for GNU/Linux distributions might or might not be available on release since it is not critical for hitting the release deadline.

#5 2022-07-29 09:15:40

felamaslen

JoeyCorleone wrote:

Well, it depends. If the manufacturer actually sells this specific model with Linux pre-installed, it should work out-of-the-box. And if it does not, you should contact Lenovo support.

If it is only sold with Windows preinstalled, it means that only Windows support was necessary to make the machine available for sale (from a business point of view). Full support for GNU/Linux distributions might or might not be available on release since it is not critical for hitting the release deadline.

This sounds like an argument a lawyer might make, but which makes no sense in the real world.

If a company sells a bunch of laptops with Linux preinstalled as an option, and a significant proportion of the consumers of those laptops use Linux, then I would say it is a reasonable assumption that newly released laptops from that company have at least been tested to a basic level running Linux - or that at least, there is a warning saying they haven't.

#6 2022-07-29 12:15:21

JoeyCorleone

felamaslen wrote:
JoeyCorleone wrote:

This sounds like an argument a lawyer might make, but which makes no sense in the real world.

If a company sells a bunch of laptops with Linux preinstalled as an option, and a significant proportion of the consumers of those laptops use Linux, then I would say it is a reasonable assumption that newly released laptops from that company have at least been tested to a basic level running Linux - or that at least, there is a warning saying they haven't.

Well, your assumption is false. To mention just one counterexample, see this recent issue.

Anyway, feel free to open a new thread about this philosophical discussion in an appropriate subforum, I would like to stick to the technical details here.

#7 2022-08-03 07:38:45

dcy3rka

Same problem here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linu … -p/5160642

New BIOS should be released soon.

#8 2022-11-04 10:26:24

aurelr

This issue should be edited as SOLVED. the new BIOS is ready and it works like a charm

#9 2022-11-05 12:09:42

dcy3rka

Yes I can confirm that this issue got fixed.

Board footer