You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-28 23:05:19

trey

Getting gpg / crypto plugin working with KDE

Can someone point me to the packages required to get gpg working with kmail.  I didn't see an aegyptian package.  I'm running KDE 3.2.1.

Thanks.

#2 2004-03-29 01:14:24

galen
Website

Re: Getting gpg / crypto plugin working with KDE

walk like an aegyptian
wink

Off to using Peanut and Slackware, no hard feelings but I need my CD to burn, PDA and scanner to connect and arch won't do it.

[img]http://www.flightsimhq.org/images/war-is-bushit_s.jpg[/img]

#3 2004-03-29 18:23:29

trey

Funny, but any *serious* answers?  Anyone successfully using this with kmail /kontact?

#4 2004-03-29 19:04:20

galen
Website

I use to use kde kmail openPGP years ago... so I'm rusty on it.
I use thunderbird, mozilla and enigmail combo now . . far better IMO

what I roughly remember is you must create / generate your private key from the command line [see gpg documents] and make sure it stores it in your home subfolder folder
.gnupg

a secret key will be created called
secring.gpg

under Kmail specify where the gpg executable is and where your private key resides and then do some test e-mails.
feel free to e-mail me some test signed e-mails
and or encrypted e-mails to me via my public key found here
http://www.flightsimhq.org/godfree2/B311AA89.asc

PS you can also move your keys over from [win]PGP via its export feature

Off to using Peanut and Slackware, no hard feelings but I need my CD to burn, PDA and scanner to connect and arch won't do it.

[img]http://www.flightsimhq.org/images/war-is-bushit_s.jpg[/img]

#5 2004-03-29 20:13:08

trey

Alright, I'll give this a try when I get back today.  I had this working in another linux distro before, but it requied another plugin in addition to the PGP keys (aegypten plugin, I believe).  Didn't know if that was true here as well.

Thanks.

#6 2004-04-19 21:51:39

johnr

trey,

Did you get this working? and if so how.

I have the encryption tool set as gnupg, and that seems to work... but I can't find gpgme-openpgp.so or gpgme-smime.so that I need for the crypto plugins section.

any direction would be appreciated.

JohnR

#7 2004-04-19 23:34:41

dp
Website

i had a lot of time invested in this about half a year ago, but not all success (well, it worked, but the trouble was with kmail and passpharses --- a bug in kmail in kde 3.1.? that should be solved now, but i didnt have time to check/try again)

have a look at

pinentry and newpg in my TUR

... you must most probably rebuild them and it can really good be that they do not longer work and need addaptation --- please, if you managed to make it work, let me know, as im still highly interested to have it working --- it's the only kmail-option not working in arch --- good luck

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#8 2004-04-20 13:20:50

johnr

dp,
Thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do. Does that mean I should try to create an Agypten package? with all missing libs contained in pinentry, etc.

It may be a couple weeks, as I need to finish this semester of school before I get side tracked. But I will try soon.  ... anyone else could feel free to do it instead.

JohnR

#9 2004-04-20 16:47:13

dp
Website

johnr wrote:

Does that mean I should try to create an Agypten package? with all missing libs contained in pinentry, etc.

aegypten is a collection of pkgs to make kmail work with gpg - making one aegypten pkg is one way, but you can more simpler just try to rebuild pinentry and then newpg and hope it works

nice infos can be found here

http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html

besides my old newpg and pinentry the others should be already somewhere in the repos

johnr wrote:

It may be a couple weeks, as I need to finish this semester of school before I get side tracked. But I will try soon.  ... anyone else could feel free to do it instead.

he he ... for me the semester started some weeks ago - that's why there is quite no time for other things now ... and my laptop is occupied compiling kde 3.2.2 the whole day :-)

yes, everyone who can help making gpg working with kmail is welcome

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer