You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-30 04:53:30

mac57
Website

Upgraded to Xorg 7.0 - Where is GLXgears?

I have just upgraded to xorg 7.0. glxgears and glxinfo are no longer present on my system. What is the package that I need to install to get them back?

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-10-30 05:56:18

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Upgraded to Xorg 7.0 - Where is GLXgears?

mesa

#3 2006-10-30 13:27:02

mac57
Website

Thanks Snowman. I had read that it was in mesa-apps on one post, but that package doesn't seem to exist any more. I tried xorg-apps, and such a package DOES exist. I d/l'd it - that worked, but no GLXgears. Not sure WHAT I got from that package actually.

I had read that mesa was somehow outdated and dangerous now - one of many posts I read while searching the forums for answers. Do I run the risk of breaking anything if I download and install it? These days it seems that every time I install anything new, I break a bunch of other stuff. Rolling release is great, but only if you keep up with it all the time!

Thanks.

#4 2006-10-30 13:35:56

brain0
Developer

mac57 wrote:

I had read that mesa was somehow outdated and dangerous now - one of many posts I read while searching the forums for answers. Do I run the risk of breaking anything if I download and install it?

Please tell me where you read that. mesa is even required for many things. How could it be dangerous?

#5 2006-10-30 16:30:38

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

mac57 wrote:

Thanks Snowman. I had read that it was in mesa-apps on one post, but that package doesn't seem to exist any more. I tried xorg-apps, and such a package DOES exist. I d/l'd it - that worked, but no GLXgears. Not sure WHAT I got from that package actually.

I had read that mesa was somehow outdated and dangerous now - one of many posts I read while searching the forums for answers. Do I run the risk of breaking anything if I download and install it? These days it seems that every time I install anything new, I break a bunch of other stuff. Rolling release is great, but only if you keep up with it all the time!

Thanks.

This is all outdated information.

glxinfo and glxgears were in mesa-apps but recently they were moved in the mesa package.

The part about mesa unsafe was that before the splitted xorg 7.0,  there was a mesa package in extra that could conflict/cause problems  with the mesa drivers from xorg. This is no longer the case. That mesa package in extra has been removed and the mesa package in current is the one from xorg. There shouldn't be any problem using mesa.

Run 'pacman -Ql xorg-apps' to see what's in xorg-apps.

#6 2006-10-30 17:27:37

mac57
Website

Thanks Snowman, that did it.

One last question: now that everything is stabilized again, I find that some apps suddenly have horrible looking fonts. In particular, camstream (webcam utility) and xfe (dual pane file manager), which used to have nice clear crisp fonts, are suddenly using a horrible, muddy font. I think it is Helvetica in both cases - used to render beautifully, now looks like hell. Any thoughts on cleaning this up?

#7 2006-10-30 17:32:29

mac57
Website

Never mind - solved it myself. For whatever reason, my 100dpi font directory had been deleted along with the upgrade. When I put it back, peace and beauty followed. Thanks for all the help

Board footer