You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-27 23:58:21

MrSelfDestruct
Website

Monitor Standby Modes (via DPMS) Consistently Interrupted

On both GNOME and KDE, as well as trying out xscreensaver's overrides of DPMS, something is interrupting my system's DPMS standby of my monitors. This system uses AMD graphics, in case that is relevant.

No matter how the monitors go into standby mode, either via KDE, GNOME, Xscreensaver, or being forced to via xset, they will turn back on a few seconds later with a black screen instead (as opposed to being in standby mode), and about half the time won't even turn off at all even though they were supposed to. Disconnecting my input devices shows no different in this, but for sake of completeness, I am using a Corsair K55 keyboard and a Corsair Harpoon mouse. I am using the ckb-next program with them, however turning off said program (including turning off its daemon) does not change anything. I have nothing within /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

The output of xset q is as follows:

Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
  XKB indicators:
    00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    on     02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
    06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
    09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
    12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
  auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  33
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffefffedffff
                        9fffffffffffffff
                        fff7ffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/TTF,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

The output of systemd-inhibit --list is as follows:

WHO            UID  USER   PID   COMM            WHAT                                                     WHY                                                  MODE 
NetworkManager 0    root   553   NetworkManager  sleep                                                    NetworkManager needs to turn off networks            delay
UPower         0    root   1171  upowerd         sleep                                                    Pause device polling                                 delay
GNOME Shell    1000 harley 10438 gnome-shell     sleep                                                    GNOME needs to lock the screen                       delay
Telepathy      1000 harley 10525 mission-control shutdown:sleep                                           Disconnecting IM accounts before suspend/shutdown... delay
discord        1000 harley 36939 Discord         sleep                                                    Application cleanup before suspend                   delay
electron       1000 harley 46067 electron        sleep                                                    Application cleanup before suspend                   delay
harley         1000 harley 10631 gsd-media-keys  handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key GNOME handling keypresses                            block
harley         1000 harley 10631 gsd-media-keys  sleep                                                    GNOME handling keypresses                            delay
harley         1000 harley 10633 gsd-power       sleep                                                    GNOME needs to lock the screen                       delay

9 inhibitors listed.

DPMS being set to all 0's seems to be odd, despite my GNOME power settings indicating it should be 5 for standby. But even setting this manually, or via xscreensaver, the DPMS does not successfully activate, and the screen goes back to a lit black screen instead of a standby mode within a few seconds or never enters standby at all.

I would love some help on this issue. Thank you.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong forum section, but I figured this is more on the software-side than the hardware-side.

Linux of Arch I use, btw

#2 2022-07-28 07:28:41

seth

Re: Monitor Standby Modes (via DPMS) Consistently Interrupted

Browser imitating input action to keep the screen active while playing media (in doubt some ad)?

Edit

DPMS being set to all 0's seems to be odd

means the timeout is disabled (eg. because a client like xscreensaver controls the timeout independently)

Last edited by seth (2022-07-28 07:29:36)

#3 2022-07-31 03:40:56

MrSelfDestruct
Website

Browser imitating input action to keep the screen active while playing media (in doubt some ad)?

This happens with no applications open, at all. I just gave a quick log without closing things to show there wasn't some other odd application causing this.

means the timeout is disabled (eg. because a client like xscreensaver controls the timeout independently)

Oddly, that's when xscreensaver is disabled. When it is enabled, they are set to sane values but still goes black screen instead of blanking into standby appropriately.

Additionally, I noticed, my laptop is also oddly affected by this, so whatever happened happened twice consistently.

Edit: I was mistaken. I thought it was affecting the laptop, but I went and confirmed if it was or not, and it is not.

Also, this is a dual-monitor setup on my desktop, which after even more research, might affect it.

Edit2: I have fixed one of my monitors of this bug now. It seems turning off the auto-switch input setting, which was hinted to me from this link here.

However, the other one is still causing issues; it does not have the same setting. If I manage to fix it, I will come back and explain what I did, but until then, I fully appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by MrSelfDestruct (2022-07-31 05:19:17)

Linux of Arch I use, btw

#4 2022-07-31 07:03:54

seth

It seems turning off the auto-switch input setting, which was hinted to me from this link here.

Wait a second,

they will turn back on a few seconds later with a black screen instead (as opposed to being in standby mode), and about half the time won't even turn off at all

We're *only* talking about the monitor themselves? They turn back on but receive no signal from the system?

You can then forget about the OS/DPMS and all input devices and the nature of the outputs (vendor/model and connection type, HDMI/DisplayPort/probablynotVGA/…) becomes more important.

Board footer