You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-28 19:00:28

Candalija

[SOLVED]/etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist ¿Any difference?

Hello, is there any difference between the configuration files for mirror servers (/etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist)? I have configured my configuration file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist using reflector, should I configure the other file? as far as I know pacman.conf can be assigned mirror servers to be used by default, if I have a correct configuration of mirrorlist.conf is it necessary to modify this other one?

Thanks.

Last edited by Candalija (2022-07-30 12:37:54)

#2 2022-07-28 19:22:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]/etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist ¿Any difference?

I'm not sure I understand the question - there are a lot of differences between these two files.  By default, and typically it remains this way, pacman.conf includes the mirrorlist for each repo.  Generally one would not explicitly list mirrors in the pacman.conf (except for custom / third-party repos not on the mirrors).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-07-28 19:39:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

They are not at all the same thing. pacman.conf is the pacman configuration file. The mirrorlist file is just a list of servers for the official package repositories (core, extra, community, multilib, etc.). pacman.conf uses an "Include" command to insert the contents of the mirrorlist in each official repository section in pacman.conf.

pacman.conf configures pacman (paths, hooks, download commands, enabled repositories, package signing checks, etc).

mirrorlist just configures which servers you use for the official repositories. It avoids having to repeat the same "Server = ..." lines in each official repository section, and it also ensures that all of your official packages come from the same server (provided none of them 404), which in turn means that they should all be compatible when you do a full system upgrade because they were all released together.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2022-07-30 12:37:09

Candalija

Really thanks !

Board footer