You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-30 16:38:17

Jacek Poplawski
Website

pacman slowness

(this is not a troll)

Why pacman is so slow? I don't mean downloading speed. I mean database access speed. When I want to list contents of package or I want to upgrade package or I want to remove package - processing always take a long while.

Is there any work to improve this situation? Can I read somewhere about it?

#2 2006-10-30 16:58:47

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: pacman slowness

It's because pacman's db is made of hundreds if not thousands of small files. So it takse time to read them from the disk. You could try running pacman-optimize which is a script to remove fragmentation between these files. You could also use a FS which is better at handling small files.

Do a forum search for pacman and database. There has been discussions about that. I don't think pacman 3 will use a database but it might have some speed improvement.

#3 2006-10-30 17:57:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Jacek. Many users have reported slow read times with pacman, on the reiserfs file system. There are many work arounds listed in the forums...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2006-10-30 19:50:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Snowman wrote:

There has been discussions about that. I don't think pacman 3 will use a database but it might have some speed improvement.

s/might/will/
Cactus did some performance comparisons, but pacman3 at least *feels* faster with the same file-based backend.

#5 2006-10-30 21:18:25

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:
Snowman wrote:

There has been discussions about that. I don't think pacman 3 will use a database but it might have some speed improvement.

s/might/will/
Cactus did some performance comparisons, but pacman3 at least *feels* faster with the same file-based backend.

That's good news! big_smile

#6 2006-10-31 00:11:54

slackhack

i noticed pacman has been a lot slower accessing the database here lately, since about a couple weeks ago, it seems. optimize-pacman seemed to help, and using wget as xfer agent. 

i converted most of my fs to ext3, but so far root is still on reiser. the reason i originally used reiser is b/c it claimed to be  better with smaller files. roll

can't wait for Pac3, when's it supposed to be ready? big_smile

#7 2006-10-31 00:13:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

slackhack wrote:

It was supposed to be ready a while ago.  I actually promised some people an RC release, but it didn't happen.  Therefore, I don't want to promise anything like that - I will just go with the old standby - "soon".

#8 2006-10-31 00:42:36

slackhack

phrakture wrote:
slackhack wrote:

It was supposed to be ready a while ago.  I actually promised some people an RC release, but it didn't happen.  Therefore, I don't want to promise anything like that - I will just go with the old standby - "soon".

no hurries, no worries. lol

#9 2006-10-31 03:44:21

Snarkout

"Soon" is always better than "not soon."  Unless you're talking about getting out of bed or going to work.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#10 2006-10-31 03:52:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Snarkout wrote:

"Soon" is always better than "not soon."  Unless you're talking about getting out of bed or going to work.

soon...soon...
:cry:

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer