You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-03 23:18:35

MadMan99

Compress pulseaudio output? [Solved]

Hey, I've been using Arch for about a year and a half now as my daily driver and, due to some circumstances, I have been using my laptop for about a month now. My laptop speakers are not very robust. I was wondering if there was a way to compress the audio output so as to make it easier to listen to podcasts on the side. Basically, a compressor boosts quiet sounds while not affecting the loudest sounds. Currently, I'm using Pulseaudio at 130%, but I fear that certain sounds could do some damage to my speakers over time, and I think a compressor/limiter would help to mitigate that while bringing some clarity to my laptop speakers.

I normally try to figure this kind of stuff out myself, but this is a rather tough subject to google/search on the forums, since compression means a completely different thing in the realm of computing. Would appreciate some help or at least some pointers in the right direction. Optimally, a software solution to use audio effects plugins, such as ReaPlugs/ReaComp would be cool, but I figure that's probably such a niche audience that would know how to work those plugins that a software solution like that probably doesn't exist. Otherwise, I am willing to switch from Pulseaudio on my laptop if needed.

Again, thanks.

Last edited by MadMan99 (2022-08-03 23:25:03)

#2 2022-08-03 23:24:53

MadMan99

Re: Compress pulseaudio output? [Solved]

Nvm, solved using PulseEffects, which is good enough for my needs and has much more functionality than I would have expected. Need to use the legacy version from the AUR.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseA … processing

Last edited by MadMan99 (2022-08-03 23:25:41)

Board footer