DE: Plasma 5.25.4
WM: KWin
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: Intel i5-10400F (12) @ 4.300GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Memory: 6729MiB / 15917MiB

Hi, I want to play minecraft with my brother on the same pc as me. Me playing my on monitor and brother on TV. On windows I could use a program like this https://universalsplitscreen.github.io/docs/quickstart/ but it's not for linux and I have searched about a solution but can't seem to find a linux alternative. Basically I want to be using my keyboard and mouse while my brother is using a controller on the tv but when doing that only the game instance that is in focus get any input. Is there any way to make this work on linux? (sorry for bad english)

Last edited by kgkn (2022-08-04 20:39:57)

#2 2022-08-04 22:01:34

ectospasm

Re: 2 people 1 pc Minecraft gaming

What you're asking for is multi-headed Arch installation.  That wiki gives some tips, look into the Zaphod display it mentions in the historical section.  You might want to look into the Linux Terminal Server Project, which may be a more modern way to achieve what you want. Building it out in Arch could be a fun learning experience.

One of the use cases for LTSP is setting up a computer lab in primary schools, where the number of students far exceeds the number of available desktop computers.  Back when I first looked into this, they could have four students with four monitors, keyboards, and mice per one desktop.

#3 2022-08-04 22:31:03

kgkn

I don't think that's necessary all I want really is for 2 instances of minecraft be in focus at the same time so that both of them can be controlled at the same time.

#4 2022-08-05 00:47:52

ectospasm

kgkn wrote:

I don't think that's necessary all I want really is for 2 instances of minecraft be in focus at the same time so that both of them can be controlled at the same time.

What you're asking for is two different display environments, with different input devices.  It can be done, but it isn't going to be easy (it's not a very common use case, except for the one I already described).  You might be better off running a Minecraft server on your larger device, and use another device to connect to it.  To my knowledge there isn't a package that does it all for you with only one device, you'll have to figure out how to do it yourself.

You could conceivably launch two Minecraft clients connecting to the local Minecraft server, and tell one to use your keyboard and mouse devices for input, and the other to use the gamepad.  I've never used Minecraft so I don't know if it's possible.

What do you use for your GUI environment, X.org or Wayland?  We can start there.  That Zaphod link on the wiki describes one way to do it, but I believe that's for X.org.

#5 2022-08-05 13:41:24

kgkn

Yes I am using xorg and I think your right I didn't notice the Zaphod link but I'm gonna try that out. Thank you for helping

Board footer