You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-09 14:12:38

wilted.black.rose

[Solved] rofi can't be started with key bindings

I am at a loss of words because of what is happening with the interaction between sxhkd and rofi. An hour ago I booted my laptop normally, and everything worked fine. Then suddenly lanching rofi with my shortcut stopped working. I rebooted, and it was still broken. I can launch rofi with my config from the terminal, and it works like a charm. And now here comes the best part. If I kill sxhkd and launch it again, everything works just fine! I tried to kill and reload rofi in my bspwm config, but with no success. And during this hour of work I didn't upgrade the system or any packages at all. I just used packages I had already installed. Any guess how else I could figure out what's wrong? Perhaps it is important to note that I launch my session with a .xinit file, and not a DM.

EDIT: The solution was with my locales, even though I hadn't touched them since ages. I just made sure I didn't override LANG in /etc/locale.conf, but rather set all the interesting variables through my .kshrc, and ran locale-gen for good measure, then rebooted. At that point everything was back to normal.

Last edited by wilted.black.rose (2022-08-09 18:52:33)

#2 2022-08-09 15:21:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved] rofi can't be started with key bindings

Could you share your ~/.xinitrc ? 
When it does not work, are there any rofi processes hanging around?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-08-09 17:28:50

wilted.black.rose

Re: [Solved] rofi can't be started with key bindings

Well, my .xinitrc is a copy of the default one that just starts picom and pulseaudio and then bspwm, it worked fine for the longest time. But I just found out something even more bizarre. The problem seems to be with rofi, not with sxhkd, because I tried to start it with xbindkeys, with the exact same result. With both sxhkd and xbindkeys I can even try to start rofi through a shell (like sh -c "rofi -show ssh"), and it still doesn't work. I don't know how on earth that is possible, because again starting rofi from the terminal, even my custom scripts, works just fine, with no bugs.

Last edited by wilted.black.rose (2022-08-09 18:12:54)

Board footer