You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-31 19:57:00

x586

Xorg.conf somethings I don't understand yet

Background:
I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to linux. I've been a dos/windows user/tech for more then 15 years and I've finally decided I wanted to learn linux.
So I setup a teamspeak server(Linux Talk) on my windows machine and have been using a kvm to learn linux on another. Pudge has been a great help  coming on the teamspeak server and chatting with me and others.

Today:
So today I decided to try reinstalling Arch without any help. And So far I've done fairly well I managed to get it updated and get into gnome. However I've run into some things in the xorg.conf that while I was able to get around, i really didn't understand them. I tried search the forum and wiki, but it didn't help.

What I did:
I used xorg -configure and it generated the xorg.conf.new file and properly detected my monitor, I copied and renamed it as it should be, but it didn't work. I would recieve out of range. So I commented out the refresh lines (like it said to do) so that it would use ddc, that didn't work either agian I recieved the out of range message on my monitor again. So I put in manual refresh rates that I knew would work and they did.

The part where I got confused:
What I don't understand is when it properly detected and identified the monitor, how come that didn't work ? And how come using the ddc method didn't work.

I know i'm not filling in all the blanks with specific numbers and hardware details, I'm not looking for a how to for my specific setup, just trying to understand the basic process and why it didn't work even though it detected everything properly.

#2 2006-10-31 20:11:37

Winblowz

Re: Xorg.conf somethings I don't understand yet

I'd just use the 'xorgconfig' command. I've never used 'xorg -configure' but I think xorgconfig works better.

#3 2006-10-31 20:16:59

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

or try hwd ;-)

Mr Green

#4 2006-10-31 20:19:00

byte

Xorg -configure is the best, imo.

No clue about your autodetection problem, sorry... maybe the monitor simply reported false data.

#5 2006-10-31 23:25:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Anymore you might be able to get away with not specifying sync ranges for your monitor... it seems I broke my site, so I will post a link to my xorg.conf url soon.

Board footer