You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-30 11:39:39

jourdan

Gnome Disk Mounter - Strange Behaviour

Wondering if anybody has information or links as to how I might control/configure the Gnome Disk Mounter applet.  By default (latest Arch upgrade to Gnome 2.16) I get an icon for floppy, zip100 and one of my hdd partitions, and clicking on the zip100 creates a 4th icon for USB drive.  A very quirky experience!  A pointer to the right configuratin file would be great; some ideas as to how I could modify the UDEV rules (if these apply here) would be equally appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2006-10-30 21:18:01

skale

Re: Gnome Disk Mounter - Strange Behaviour

Is your zip drive connected to your computer via USB?  That might explain the wierd part.

#3 2006-10-30 23:16:45

jourdan

No, the ZIP drive is connected via IDE.

#4 2006-10-31 22:58:02

skale

maybe your fstab is funny.  Have you monkeyed with the /etc/fstab file?

Also do 'lsusb' and 'cat /proc/mounts' and before and after clicking on the see if they are consistent.  (there should be a similar device in all three).  If all three are good, it is likely a problem with gnome itself.

You said that this happened after the upgrade, and not before?
If so, it is most probably a GNOME problem.  Unless you updated something else as well, of course. 

That's all I can say, maybe someone else can step in.

Good Luck!  smile

#5 2006-11-01 09:01:32

jourdan

/etc/fstab (only HDD partitions in this file)

none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
/dev/sda1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda5 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda6 /var ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda7 /home ext3 defaults 0 1

cat /proc/mount

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
none /dev ramfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/sda6 /var ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
automount(pid3294) /mnt/media autofs rw,fd=4,pgrp=3294,timeout=300,minproto=2,maxproto=4,indirect 0 0

I run autofs on my external media, but I don't see how this would cause conflicts.  I also have a set of custom udev rules that make my autofs config easier and access to my scsi scanner possible (the default udev stuff doesn't give my user access to the scanner for some reason - only root can access by default).  My user's a member of all the correct groups.

/etc/udev/rules.d/(custom.rules)

# DVD Writer
KERNEL=="hda", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="registered/dvdrw", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# DVD Reader
KERNEL=="hdb", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="registered/dvdro", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# Floppy Disk Drive
KERNEL=="fd0", NAME="registered/floppy", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="devices" OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# ZIP 100 Disk Drive
KERNEL=="hdd", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="registered/zip hdd4", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# SCSI Scanner
KERNEL=="sg1", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="registered/scanner scanner", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# USB Mouse
KERNEL=="mouse*", DRIVER=="usbhid", NAME="registered/mouseUSB%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

# PS2 Mouse
KERNEL=="mouse*", DRIVER=="psmouse", NAME="registered/mousePS2", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="devices", OPTIONS+="last_rule"

Before Gnome 2.16, I had no floppy drive at all but fixed that by adding "floppy" to the /etc/rc.conf MODULES list.  Worked and still works fine.  The ZIP100 drive problem in gnome's Disk Mounter was there in 2.14 as well as 2.16, although I remember it working properly in 2.12.  The HDD partition showing-up is new to 2.16, and was never there before.

I'd really like to just configure this handy little applet (a non-automagical approach), but I can't seem to find any information about how to do this.  Honestly, it's that which I find most frustrating - not the quirkiness which with other tools I've been able to defeat.

Thanks for your tips.  Maybe I could try adding the devices to my fstab - but there's obviously another way in which the Disk Mounter finds these devices...

Board footer