You are not logged in.

#26 2022-08-19 17:53:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: AUR helper/assistent

qinohe wrote:

Correct, gdmap fetches from AUR, but, archiso-git doesn't it shouldn't touch AUR but Gitlab!

Wrong.  The PKGBUILD and associated files for archiso-git come from the aur.

qinohe wrote:

I don't completely understand why you say 'ALL aur packages fetch from aur.archlinuxorg.  ALL of them'

I say it because it's true.

qinohe wrote:

I decent into the git dir so should fetch from the git repo and in the case of archiso-git that's Gitlab ... not AUR.

Wrong.

qinohe wrote:

about your edit, I don't touch the root dir. I decent into the package git dir! (which is named 'archiso')

Your code doesn't.  In updchk the "${buildir}"/"${prog}"/.git directory is the one with the config file pointing to aur.archlinux.org.  That will be true of every single AUR package.  Either your code fetches updates to this aur.archlinux.org repo or it doesn't.  If it does, then it does (QED).  If it doesn't, then you are not getting updates to those packages!  You can't have it both ways.  I could be wrong about what your code is actually doing / not doing - but it's one or the other.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-08-19 17:54:12)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#27 2022-08-19 19:08:42

qinohe

Trilby wrote:

Your code doesn't.  In updchk the "${buildir}"/"${prog}"/.git directory is the one with the config file pointing to aur.archlinux.org.  That will be true of every single AUR package.  Either your code fetches updates to this aur.archlinux.org repo or it doesn't.  If it does, then it does (QED).  If it doesn't, then you are not getting updates to those packages!  You can't have it both ways.  I could be wrong about what your code is actually doing / not doing - but it's one or the other.

That's the point, 'static' packages like gdmap is using "${buildir}"/"${prog}"/.git, this is correct!
Git packages! like archiso-git is using "${buildir}"/"${prog}"/"${gitdir}"
The directory is found by "find . -maxdepth 1 ! -iname ".*" -type d | awk -F'/' '{print $NF}'"
At that point I'm not using /.git
If you clone archiso git and build it 'makepkg -sc' there is a directory 'archiso'
When I cd into that dir. and do 'git fetch' it should come from Gitlab!
The reasson I know this is if I stay in the root dir. of the project I would never get updates because these kind of packages are seldom updated.
However, if I 'git fetch' in the archiso dir I can fetch 'directly' from gitlab and if the commits before and after don't match, makepkg is run.
Packages like gdmap must be updated on AUR by the packager because otherwise everyone must update the PKGBUILD themself, which would be useless 'work' for everyone.

Last edited by qinohe (2022-08-19 19:09:42)

#28 2022-08-19 19:20:16

qinohe

Let me show you two 'updchk' (update checks) for archiso-git and gdmap.
You'll see it descends into different dirs.

archiso-git

+ for prog in ${progchk}                                                                                                                
+ updchk                                                                                                                                
+ '[' '!' -d /home/mark/build/archiso-neo-git/.git ']'                                                                                  
+ '[' -d /home/mark/build/archiso-neo-git ']'                                                                                           
+ cd -- /home/mark/build/archiso-neo-git                                                                                                
++ find . -maxdepth 1 '!' -iname '.*' -type d                                                                                           
++ awk -F/ '{print $NF}'                                                                                                                
+ gitdir=archiso                                                                                                                        
+ for p in $gitdir                                                                                                                      
+ '[' archiso-neo-git = archiso ']'                                                                                                     
+ '[' -d archiso ']'
+ cd -- /home/mark/build/archiso-neo-git/archiso
+ '[' -f /home/mark/bin-data/repo-lists/exclude ']'
++ git rev-parse --short HEAD
+ locgitcom=b13e5e3
+ git fetch
+ remgitcom=b13e5e3
+ '[' on = on ']'
+ printf '%s\n' 'update check for '\''archiso-neo-git'\'':'
update check for 'archiso-neo-git':
+ '[' b13e5e3 '!=' b13e5e3 ']'
+ '[' b13e5e3 = b13e5e3 ']'
+ '[' on = on ']'
+ printf '%s\n' 'installed b13e5e3' 'remote    b13e5e3 - commits match' ''
installed b13e5e3
remote    b13e5e3 - commits match

gdmap

+ return
+ for prog in ${progchk}
+ updchk
+ '[' '!' -d /home/mark/build/gdmap/.git ']'
+ '[' -d /home/mark/build/gdmap ']'
+ cd -- /home/mark/build/gdmap
++ find . -maxdepth 1 '!' -iname '.*' -type d
++ awk -F/ '{print $NF}'
+ gitdir=
+ '[' -d '' ']'
+ '[' -f /home/mark/bin-data/repo-lists/exclude ']'
+ locgitcom=d10fc75
+ git fetch
+ remgitcom=d10fc75
+ '[' on = on ']'
+ printf '%s\n' 'update check for '\''gdmap'\'':'
update check for 'gdmap':
+ '[' d10fc75 '!=' d10fc75 ']'
+ '[' d10fc75 = d10fc75 ']'
+ '[' on = on ']'
+ printf '%s\n' 'installed d10fc75' 'remote    d10fc75 - commits match' ''
installed d10fc75
remote    d10fc75 - commits match

edit: check 'gitdir='

Last edited by qinohe (2022-08-19 19:21:23)

#29 2022-08-19 19:44:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

qinohe wrote:

The reasson I know this is if I stay in the root dir. of the project I would never get updates because these kind of packages are seldom updated.

- Seldom != Never
- You are then getting updates from upstream, but never (not seldom) getting packaging updates.
- I suspect this will be fragile with any packages that don't fit your assumptions - but I can't really know as the logic of the code is so complicated.

But have at it, if it works for you, enjoy.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-08-19 19:44:53)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#30 2022-08-19 19:54:53

qinohe

Trilby wrote:

- Seldom != Never
- You are then getting updates from upstream, but never (not seldom) getting packaging updates.
- I suspect this will be fragile with any packages that don't fit your assumptions - but I can't really know as the logic of the code is so complicated.

But have at it, if it works for you, enjoy.

I don't mean to be stubborn, really!
You're advice seems sound to me and I am going to update my script accordingly..
I'm sorry the script is hard to read as I have no problems with that, I have walked trough it a lot.
I agree with your statement that I never(seldom) get packaging updates and did need to do that manually, which is not the way, you're very right about that!

Anyway, I'll open a new thread when I'm done making the script 'readable' etc.
Thank you very much for debating over what it is now, again it's appreciated I learned a few things.

Board footer