You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-20 14:56:44

Heisenberg32

[Solved] Nvidia issue with wayland compositor

Hi everyone,
I have a T480 with Arch and sway, I would like repeat this configuration on my Desktop PC, but now I have many problems with installation. On my Desktop PC I have a nvidia GPU, when I installed sway on T480, it was easy but now it more complicated. Now, I installed Arch and the nvidia dkms drivers, I ask you: If I install Sway or Qtily with wayland, have to I install some packages over than respective guide? For example, I tried to install Sway and Qtily but when I started them, them gave me a issuses. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M5ayE7 … sp=sharing. When I tried with Sway I got a same problem. Any solution?

Last edited by Heisenberg32 (2022-08-21 11:56:56)

#2 2022-08-20 15:07:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [Solved] Nvidia issue with wayland compositor

See the Note in the Installation section of the sway ArchWiki page.

#3 2022-08-20 15:12:05

ewaller
Administrator

You do not have to do anything special.  I have plasma, sway and i3 installed on this system.  I often use plasma and i3 simultaneously on different consoles.

I know nothing about qtile, but I question why you would want to start it with sudo.  Try it without.  It might have also sprinkled files owned by root around your home directory that you may have to find and clean up before it will work as your logged in user.

Edit:  What happens if you just issue the conmmand sway   ?

Last edited by ewaller (2022-08-20 15:12:40)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2022-08-20 15:13:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please edit your title as your issue has nothing to do with window managers, but with wayland compositors.  You should also note that this is a nvidia issue in the title as nvidia can have particular issues with many wayland compositors.

Also do not run a graphical session as root (do not use sudo).

You will most likely need to set the environment variables as noted here as neither sway nor qtile support EGLStreams AFAIK.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-08-20 15:16:28)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2022-08-20 18:15:22

Heisenberg32

Trilby wrote:

Please edit your title as your issue has nothing to do with window managers, but with wayland compositors.  You should also note that this is a nvidia issue in the title as nvidia can have particular issues with many wayland compositors.

Also do not run a graphical session as root (do not use sudo).

You will most likely need to set the environment variables as noted here as neither sway nor qtile support EGLStreams AFAIK.

ewaller wrote:

You do not have to do anything special.  I have plasma, sway and i3 installed on this system.  I often use plasma and i3 simultaneously on different consoles.

I know nothing about qtile, but I question why you would want to start it with sudo.  Try it without.  It might have also sprinkled files owned by root around your home directory that you may have to find and clean up before it will work as your logged in user.

Edit:  What happens if you just issue the conmmand sway   ?

I set nvidia_drm.modeset=1 into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and I set environment variables into /etc/profile. This way didn't work. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJJC7N … sp=sharing. Maybe, have to I use nouveau drivers?

Last edited by Heisenberg32 (2022-08-20 18:28:27)

#6 2022-08-20 19:28:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Nouveau is for xorg and should not be relevant for wayland compositors.  I have no experience with nvidia hardware, but perhaps you could use mesa instead of nvidia if 1) that is possible and 2) nvidia doesn't rely on mesa already.

But this new error doesn't appear to have anything to do with your graphics driver - that is the error you get if you don't have a seat manager daemon running.  I prefer seatd for this, but I believe it's polkitd that can also serve this purpose.  Do you have one of these installed and running?  Note that this is all clearly covered in the wiki.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-08-20 19:33:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-08-21 11:56:09

Heisenberg32

Trilby wrote:

Nouveau is for xorg and should not be relevant for wayland compositors.  I have no experience with nvidia hardware, but perhaps you could use mesa instead of nvidia if 1) that is possible and 2) nvidia doesn't rely on mesa already.

But this new error doesn't appear to have anything to do with your graphics driver - that is the error you get if you don't have a seat manager daemon running.  I prefer seatd for this, but I believe it's polkitd that can also serve this purpose.  Do you have one of these installed and running?  Note that this is all clearly covered in the wiki.

I fixed my issue, I had forgotten to install polkit. Now, Sway works. To recap, I installed nvidia-open-dkms, I set grub parameter for nvidia, I set environment variables into /etc/profile and installed polkit. Sway works correctly, Now, I just have to set up Sway.
Thanks everyone for answers.

Board footer