You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-30 00:29:45

DeepThoughts
Website

Firefox/Flock/Swiftfox bottleneck?

I no longer use Firefox because of one thing... Every time I download a file it's like hitting a wall. The entire program seems to hang up until the download starts and the bigger the file, the bigger the wait.

I've tried the Firefox-derivate Flock and it suffers from the exact same thing. Upon learning about Swiftfox inte thread about Debians rebranding of FF and the fact there's PKGBUILDs in AUR I decided to try that. Since I haven't clocked anything I can't prove the times but it felt like I didn't have to wait as long with Swiftfox but I did have to wait.

Is this normal behaviour? If i recall correct this doesn't happen when running as root. Could there be anything in my setup causing this? What I find mighty strange is that Epiphany doesn't suffer from this at all. No lockups and the downloads starts almost instantly.

Although Epiphany is a great browser I miss some of the extensions to Firefox, mostly the Gmail integration.

Stefan Nitsche
stefan_at_nitsche_dot_se

#2 2006-10-31 21:53:16

Gullible Jones

Re: Firefox/Flock/Swiftfox bottleneck?

Haven't seen it. I do notice, though, that if I try to download something, cancel it, then try again, it usually won't even start up again for five minutes or so. That's in Galeon though.

#3 2006-11-01 13:44:42

_adam_

Re: Firefox/Flock/Swiftfox bottleneck?

if you haven't hit the "clean up" button on the download window in a long time, do it. i remember back on windows that lockup would happen and that turned out to be the problem. i probably had around 3000 finished downloads in there and i guess it loads the list every time. after hitting the clean up button everything was fine.

if that doesnt work, go through your extensions, disabling them one at a time and see if one of them is causing it.

Board footer