You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-07 19:00:36

blame582

newbie arch questions

hello fello archers

i had a friend download arch0.7.2.iso and md5sum for me since i dont have dsl
so i was excited and jumped into installing it last night but couldnt get it to work

i got thur the install just fine  then you reboot do the root/passwd create user
but i cant use pacman it always looks for an internet connect which i dont have on that computer

so what are the steps to get pacman to load pkgs from the cd

thanks blame

#2 2006-10-07 19:46:07

ralvez
Website

Re: newbie arch questions

if you instelled the base in your machine (and that is the list you could install so I guess you have that much) then you should be able to configure yor machine to detect your ethernet card.

1. type su and enter the root password.
2. type nano /etc/rc.conf and edit your configuration file.
Make usre that you do one of the following:

a) if you use static ip (somehow I doubt it)
configure it at follows:

eth0="eth0 192.168.1.21 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.1"
ROUTES=(gateway)

Notice that 192.168.1.21 is my address you use yours there, also 192.168.1.1 is the typical gateway address  for a "class C" network -- this is very achane/deprecated terminology  lol ) but if you use something different by all means change it.

b) if you use DHCP then comment out your eth0="" line and add one above it like this:

eth0="dhcp"
#eth0="eth0 192.168.1.21 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"

and add a "!" to (gateway), like this:

ROUTES=(!gateway)

since DHCP will take care of that part.

After that restart the network with

/etc/rc.d/network restart

and try to use pacman again see it you can get the packages from the repositories.

Hope this helps.

Rick

#3 2006-10-07 20:43:16

blame582

hi thanks for the reply

but i dont have either the network or internet

what i'm trying to do is to use the cd to install from
and i'm guessing that i installed the base install

thanks again
blame

#4 2006-10-07 20:46:04

majikstreet

if you don't have internet at all on that machine,
you can install some packages from the CD -- cd to the directory "arch/pkg/" on the CD and you can type pacman -A packagename.pkg.tar.gz (as root) and it will install that package.....
Your other option would be to download packages online, put them on a floppy/something and do  a similar thing..

But the CD only can have so many packages..

arooaroo wrote:
syd wrote:

Here in NZ we cant spell words with more than 5 letters. So color will have to do.

You must be very special then because "letters" has 7 tongue

#5 2006-10-07 20:56:15

pressh
Developer/TU

As I can see the above work for you, I still want to propose an alternative way for you to deal with this.

Copy all packages you want (you can either get them from cd, or from the ftp server (using a machine with internet connection). Anyway, you should have those packages available either on a directory on your local machine or on a cd (which is pretty the same when it is mounted wink).
Then you can create a local repository, which is explained here
After that, you can use pacman as usual (just comment out the   other repositories in pacman.conf).

#6 2006-10-08 20:14:07

blame582

majikstreet wrote:

if you don't have internet at all on that machine,
you can install some packages from the CD -- cd to the directory "arch/pkg/" on the CD and you can type pacman -A packagename.pkg.tar.gz (as root) and it will install that package.....
Your other option would be to download packages online, put them on a floppy/something and do  a similar thing..

But the CD only can have so many packages..

hello thanks for thr reply
i tried to cd arch/pkg  says theres no such dir

there something wrong with my dvd drive it says it mounted and i can [cd] to dvd
but when i try to [dir] theres nothing there
also i have /mnt/cd same thing nothing there when i try to [cd] and [dir]

do i need to uncompress the iso image in order to access these file or is there something with my dvd drive or a settin g i dont have right

i'll try another dvd drive and see where i get to
thanks blame

#7 2006-10-08 20:57:56

blame582

ok i tried mounting the new dvd drive and it works so i guess i'll move ahead

is kde on the cd

and how do i get the tree to output 1 page at a time

thanks blame

#8 2006-10-09 00:46:50

mcmillan

KDE isn't on the cd, the cd is really meant mostly for getting the minimal things so you can get to the point of dowloading from repositories. There's a few window managers on there, but they're all the minimal ones (icewm, fvwm, blackbox, enlightenment, not sure if I missed any). For something as large as KDE you'll need to download the packages from some other computer and copy the packages over to your's.

Now quite sure what you mean by outputing the tree. Do you mean the output when you did dir? If so you can send pipe the output through less by typing "dir | less"

#9 2006-10-09 01:34:50

blame582

yeah sorry i'm still very new to linux, but thats what i was looking for

just to give alittle background i started looking into linux distro's a couple of years back but never did install any of them 
i'm coming from windows xp to linux and installed mandrake 9.2  up and running for the last week. mandrake is a nice distro but i dont like how the company has gone, reminds me alittle bit of microsoft and just want to steer clear of them
so i knew about arch from a few years back and liked the idea of it being a well know distro and very highly rated and thought i would try to install it but i just havent the knowledge of the linux yet

doesnt seem very difficult to install its working from the command line that i'm having trouble with just dont know where or what to do and i find alot of people howto's lacking in explaning a detailed process for install packages

i'm going to remove everything i've done so far and start over with a fresh drive and install everything from the cd i can  and confure the why i want

if i cant do it i'm going to move on to try some other distros to gain some more info on linux

thanks
blame

#10 2006-11-01 05:25:53

blame582

i now have arch up and running been using it for a week 
mandrake is history now but i went got PCLinuxOS and have learned alot in the last 30 days of using linux

i still have a lot to learn about linux but that will come in time

i see why people talk so highly of arch now
very nice distro  clean and fast

the only complaint i have about linux (Not just Arch but all Linux Distros) is its to depends on the internet and a fast connection speed , dialup just doesnt cut it for the amount of downloading you need to do
i downloaded kde 3.5.4 it took 36.5 hours
that was a long wait
thanks blame

#11 2006-11-01 12:06:58

pelle.k

You're right. I didn't start using linux until i had a broadband connection. However, there is some distros with CD sets (or DVDs) filled with packages.

The best solution would probably be to utilize a laptop with arch installed. Take that to your friend with dsl connection, and install everything you can think of. If you don't want to install it, then at least download it to cache (pacman -Sw packagename) - yes it downloads dependencies too.

Then clean the cache of  old packages (pacman -Sc), and just

tar cvzf archive.tar.gz /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*

to make an archive with the latest and the greatest, so that you can just untar those packages to the same directory, in a new install (and pacman -Su without a connection)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#12 2006-11-01 17:05:43

byte

Some tips for modem users with temporary broadband access:

Keep a master directory for pacman's cache; for example, whenever I do package updates on my laptop (broadband) I'll run 'cp /var/cache/pacman/pkg/* /arch/pkg/ (symlink to my external hdd)' afterwards and move those pkgs to /var/cache/pacman/pkg when I'm at my home pc.

When it's just 1-2 larger packages that should be upgraded, run 'pacman -Sdw pkg1 pkg2' on your laptop and follow the guide above.

For big updates like GNOME or KDE last week, run 'pacman -Sup > pkglist' to get a list of all files to be fetched, and when you're finally on broadband, run 'wget -nv -i pkglist' to download them.

#13 2006-11-01 17:30:55

majikstreet

blame582 wrote:

the only complaint i have about linux (Not just Arch but all Linux Distros) is its to depends on the internet and a fast connection speed , dialup just doesnt cut it for the amount of downloading you need to do
that was a long wait
thanks blame

so does windows.... All those security upgrades and service packs can take a LOOOOOONG time!

Plus, even if you just install a plain linux distro it's a lot safer than windows, so you don't have to worry about the upgrades and stuff...

(I can't stand dialup.... dunno how you can lol, but I know in a lot of rural areas you can't get anything better...)

arooaroo wrote:
syd wrote:

Here in NZ we cant spell words with more than 5 letters. So color will have to do.

You must be very special then because "letters" has 7 tongue

#14 2006-11-01 17:47:14

blame582

majikstreet wrote:
blame582 wrote:

that was a long wait
thanks blame

so does windows.... All those security upgrades and service packs can take a LOOOOOONG time!

Plus, even if you just install a plain linux distro it's a lot safer than windows, so you don't have to worry about the upgrades and stuff...

(I can't stand dialup.... dunno how you can lol, but I know in a lot of rural areas you can't get anything better...)

i wasnt allowed to use microsoft update i used a  Pirated version of winxp

Board footer