You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-25 15:18:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Order of readme.install vs displaying optdeps

I modified the vlc package to display a message via a post_install function.  The message is displayed but it comes before pacman prints out the 60+ lines of the package's optdepends.  If the user is not careful to scroll up, he or she will likely miss the post_install output.  Is there an option to have the post_install output displayed AFTER the optdepnds are?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2022-08-25 15:33:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Order of readme.install vs displaying optdeps

graysky wrote:

If the user is not careful ...

There is no option to adequately cope with this contingency.

I suspect a pacman hook in place of an install script might acheive the goal you say you want.  But there is a problem in your stated goal from the start: the optional depends of said package are so excessively long that you assume a user will not bother to pay attention ... if that's the case, why are they there?  For any user for whom your assumption is correct, switching the order of information presented will only change which bit of the information they miss.  That's not really a solution, is it?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-08-25 15:59:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Thanks for the reply, Trilby.  I cannot argue with your assertion, just suggesting that the post_install is more important than the optdepends.  Perhaps this is a more appropriate as a feature request?

#4 2022-08-25 16:11:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What feature would you request, more careful users?  A feature to print information already exists with alpm hooks, right?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2022-08-25 16:19:46

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Yes, a hook could do this but if it is possible to change the behavior in pacman itself, that is more simplistic.  My opinion is that the install= stuff should be considered higher priority than printing a list of optdepends.  For example, the post_install could give key output regarding setup or maintenance.

In any case, can you point me to an example package making use of a hook to accomplish this?  I can do some digging myself when I am back home.  Not fun over the phone big_smile

Board footer