You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-01 15:29:11

m!cele

yet another speedstep (governor) problem

hi there,

tryin' to get speedstep workin for hours, but it isn't workin' anymore!
i've got a thinkpad x30 with an pentium3 mobile 1200 MHz. I compiled all the governers as modules.
my problem. the defalt governer in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling/governor is "userspace" .. i tried to change it to "ondemand" with a simple "echo ondemand > /sys/..." but it isn't working!
it says "bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument" and dmesg says "ondemand governor failed to load due to too long transition latency" .. any solutions? all the governers are listed in scaling_available_governors

thank you all!

#2 2006-11-01 22:09:20

Lone_Wolf

Re: yet another speedstep (governor) problem

Check http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SpeedStep

The modules required are part of the stock kernel iirc, are you using a custom kernel ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-11-02 12:02:09

patroclo7

Re: yet another speedstep (governor) problem

You can safely use the ondemand governor, without any further tools, if it does what you want.

However, you need to load the module:

modprobe cpufreq_ondemand

And to echo the governor to an existing file (the file you mention in your post should not exist):

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

You can load the module autmatically at boot listing it in /etc/rc.conf and echo the governor in /etc/rc.local. I do successfully something similar (I actually run a script which does these things and also reacts properly to some acpi events).

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

Board footer