You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-31 05:15:56

Smoerrebroed

Another delay when loading initial RAM disk caused by latest GRUB

Hi All,

today I updated to the most recent GRUB package (grub-2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-3), and while I normally tend to leave it at that (and not reinstall GRUB and recreate its config in my EFI partition out of laziness), that's what I did this time around. Well, guess what? Upon the next reboot, I noticed an approx. 20 second delay while loading the initial ramdisk. After that, the system behaves perfectly normal and I have no other issues.

So I went back to grub-2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 (which is really the same version in a different packaging IIUIC), reinstalled and reconfigured, and that immediately remedied the delay I was seeing.

Here on the forums I found that there are a few posts around similar issues (like this one), but they don't quite seem to have the same root cause as my system is pretty bare bones:

• No Encryption

• No ZFS

• No LVM or other fancy stuff

• Just a plain FAT32 EFI partition and three ext4 partitions

So there is nothing to adjust in those areas. Any other ideas what might be causing this? Otherwise I'll just wait for the next GRUB package before reinstalling/reconfiguring GRUB to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Smoerrebroed

#2 2022-08-31 07:39:34

seth

Re: Another delay when loading initial RAM disk caused by latest GRUB

1st step would be to check whether it's actually by initrd - edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and inject "echo    '... done'" after the "initrd  /initramfs-linux.img" line.
Also compare the grub.cfg's generated by either version.

Last but not least: did you try the gd9b4638c5-3 version more than once (could have been a one-off for god knows what reasons)?

#3 2022-08-31 10:27:09

jdane

Re: Another delay when loading initial RAM disk caused by latest GRUB

I was hit by the same issue. I think it's this bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/75673

Downgrading grub to 2.06.r261.g2f4430cc0-1 was the workaround for me.

1. Downloaded the r261 grub version from the archive
2. Installed it
3. Re-ran the `grub-install` and `grub-mkconfig` commands as per the news
4. Perhaps not needed by I also ran `mkinitcpio -P` just to be sure

Rebooted the system and now it boots again in seconds instead of minute and a half.

I note that when the issue presented, booting fallback mode was still fast.

Board footer