You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-31 15:48:28

mamograg17

[SOLVED]Legal status of my case

Hello,

I am developing a GUI application that will help you install and upgrade your packages, you can say that it is a pacman GUI.

Anyway, when the user is using the application, he should see the applications images, so my problem now is that I don't know if it is legal to put the applications images in a specific folder and show them to the user, or putting a menu that shows that the rights of images are reserved for the developers will get me out of problems.

EDIT: i have just figured out that there are icons for applications in /usr/share/app-info/icons/ and i can use them without any problem.

Last edited by mamograg17 (2022-08-31 16:26:24)

#2 2022-08-31 15:53:32

schard
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Legal status of my case

What application images?
If it's a pacman wrapper, it should handle / show information about the respective packages.
What would be the image of linux, linux-lts, syslinux, systemd or xorg-xsetroot?
At any rate, IANAL and so cannot give legal advise.

Last edited by schard (2022-08-31 15:54:29)

#3 2022-08-31 15:58:32

mamograg17

Re: [SOLVED]Legal status of my case

schard wrote:

What application images?
If it's a pacman wrapper, it should handle / show information about the respective packages.
What would be image of linux, linux-lts, syslinux, systemd or xorg-xsetroot?
At any rate, IANAL and so cannot give legal advise.

I mean if an application has a picture like telegram, vlc,obs... Obviously i should show the image to the user, or it won't be gui anymore.

I know that linux, linux-headers, libcurl... Don't have a picture, that's why i will make them use the same one(probably a picture that has no meaning).

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thank you.

Board footer