You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-02 16:10:07

fk

Thunar smb:// ?

Hi @ all

Here I have read that Thunar has support to the smb protocol with fuse

http://foo-projects.org/~benny/projects … .0rc1.html

I have installed Fuse, and load the Fuse Modul, but in Thunar when I do smb://.. nothing is going on...

can anyone help?

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#2 2006-11-02 18:13:13

nv

Re: Thunar smb:// ?

Fuse is just the base for the possible fuse extensions.

If you have fuse installed (don't forget to add it to your rc.conf MODULES section), then you can use fusesmb for mounting smb shares as if they were real directories.

# pacman -S fusesmb

If everything is set up, you start fusesmb by typing fusesmb mount-point, e.g.

$ mkdir /home/myname/shares
$ fusesmb /home/myname/shares

It might take quite a while until the whole network is shared. Also, fusesmb can't prompt you for passwords (even though the author supposedly is thinking about a dbus-based solution). Unmounting works like this

$ fusermount -u /home/myname/shares

You can customize fusesmb, e.g. if you need passwords to access certain mounts, by setting up a file ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf like this:

[global]
username = xxx
password = yy
interval = 10

Or you can add share-specific options like this

[/WORKGROUP/SHARE]
username = xxx
password = yyy

I hope this helps, even though the answer to your original question is negative: Thunar does not (and judging from their mailing list discussions will not) support an smb:// protocol.

BTW, if you are looking for sharing files on linux machines, and you have just discovered fuse, try sshfs, which is also packaged.

Niklas.

#3 2006-11-02 18:35:38

fk

I hope this helps, even though the answer to your original question is negative: Thunar does not (and judging from their mailing list discussions will not) support an smb:// protocol.

Hm then I haven't understand this right, thanks

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#4 2007-01-27 18:17:07

Master One

Now that's strange, why is fusesmb not available from the official repos any more, but only from AUR in 'unsupported'?

Board footer