You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-11 06:25:57

viniosity
Website

Diablo 2 w/ no CD

I own Diablo 2 and would like to use it on Arch. Installation is a snap with the new wine and it works fine pretty much straight away.  Only snag is that it requires the CD to be in the drive and I like to travel without carrying it around.

I tried making an ISO of the playdisk and then mounting it to /mnt/cd using

mount -t iso9660 -o loop PLAYDISC.iso /mnt/cd

While that does make the cd accessible Diablo II still complains about not having a playdisc in the CD ROM.  I guess it's looking for the actual hardware instead of the files in /mnt/cd.

Anyone know a workaround?  This is a legit copy of Diablo and I'd like to find a way to use it w/out resorting to cracks.

Thanks..

#2 2006-03-11 10:54:20

FUBAR
Website

Re: Diablo 2 w/ no CD

You'll need the crack! Or rip the CD with CloneCD or Alcohol (Windows tools). They can rip the protection into the image. A crack is probably a lot easier tho.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-03-12 19:59:40

droog

It should work with the iso mounted.

Did you link /mnt/cd to ~/.wine/dosdevices?

#4 2006-03-22 10:08:47

Father

Yep, definitely a crack.

The open source wine doesn't have much copy protection at the moment. I think it only recently got securom 3 or something.

Cedega (peh peh!) can handle alot of copy protections, but its an arse to get running and requires account activation (not free) to run the non-free version.
The free cedega version in their repo is essentially wine since its so stripped down, and also doesn't include the copy protection module.

#5 2006-11-02 17:18:16

harlekin

I guess you just can mount it to any place you want to.

You just have to create a link to this directory and tell wine it's a cdrom drive.
The easiest way to do this is to add the relating fake devices via winecfg.

IIRC it worked for me.

It should be pretty much the same as m!|_An said but it may be some kind of more comfortable.

Hail to the thief!

Board footer