You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-31 20:45:31

m_ravn

Trouble with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19

Hi all,

I'm trying to install pvs (http://pvs.csl.sri.com/), but I'm having some trouble doing this. Looking through their shellscripts I found, what I believe is the culprit

# Allegro does not work with Linux's New Posix Thread Library (NPTL)
# used in newer Red Hat kernels and 2.6 kernels.  This will 
# the old thread-implementation.
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

(there's also a bit of trouble with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I think I can hack around this)

Googling turned up these articles
http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/k … 805_114056
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html
(top one titled "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL considered harmful" wink). Furthermore /lib does not contain the directories tls or i686.

Has anyone any ideas of how to remedy this? Is there a .pkg (in AUR) that contains these old libs?

Thanks,
Mads

#2 2006-10-31 20:58:05

byte

Re: Trouble with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19

I don't think this would work with glibc >= 2.4.

#3 2006-10-31 22:07:56

brain0
Developer

Arch Linux does not support linuxthreads any more and there are no plans to bring it back. We only support NPTL now.

#4 2006-11-01 00:29:40

m_ravn

Thanks for the replies.

@byte
I believe you are correct. Now the glibc FAQ Q2.1 (http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/FAQ.html#s-2.1) states that

You cannot replace any existing libc for Linux with GNU libc. It is binary incompatible and therefore has a different major version. You can, however, install it alongside your existing libc.

I have however not been able to find any (helpful) documentation on compiling/running older versions of glibc. And the docs on upgrading seem quite scary (ie. you will probably break system N times before succeeding sad)

@brain0
A very understandable choice from what I've read about LinuxThreads vs NPTL.

So does anyone have any experiences with using old versions of glibc (and LinuxThreads) on arch? If so could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mads

#5 2006-11-01 00:51:15

brain0
Developer

You can find the PKGBUILDs of the old glibc versions in Arch CVS. Versions 3.3.6 and before used linuxthreads and NPTL in parallel. You can take one of those PKGBUILDs and try to install it in a different prefix.

A better solution would be to try and remove LD_ASSUME_KERNEL from the script and see if the software works then. If it doesn't, fix it or annoy the author until he does. Linuxthreads is obsolete these days and NPTL support is required for other *nix systems as well.

#6 2006-11-01 06:08:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

m_ravn wrote:
# Allegro does not work with Linux's New Posix Thread Library (NPTL)
# used in newer Red Hat kernels and 2.6 kernels.  This will 
# the old thread-implementation.
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

/quote]

allegro seems to support NPTL now, so that program is out dated, and checking for a problem which no longer exists. liquidwar works fine for me, and it uses Arch's Allegro package.

James

#7 2006-11-01 12:36:47

m_ravn

@brain0
I've downloaded the glic-2.3.6 sources from gnu, so I could build it from those. I'm however reluctant to do this because I really don't want to break my install.

I do agree with you on the NPTL statement, but pvs relies on allegro, which relies on LinuxThreads. Allegro is not being ported to new versions of glibc, so that approach is unfortunately not viable.

@iphitus
I wasn't very specific - it's allegro as in a lisp environment.

I think I'll try and install an old version of arch on wmware instead. Is there anywhere you can check out glibc version numbering on old arch install isos (ie. do I need arch-0.[1-9].iso)? And anywhere you can download the old isos (tried filewatcher, but a lot of the older sites seem broken)?

Thanks for the replies,
Mads

PS. I noticed that you recommended slackware for old kernels in another thread. I'm however in a bit different situation as I need old versions of glibc. Furthermore I would prefer sticking to arch, but was wondering whether there were any specific reasons for not doing that.

#8 2006-11-01 22:25:45

byte

> And anywhere you can download the old isos (tried  filewatcher, but a lot of the older sites seem broken)?

Old ISOs? Just fetch the (still) current 0.7.2, it has glibc-2.3.6.

#9 2006-11-02 20:40:29

m_ravn

Hi

@byte
I've decided to go with glibc 2.2.5, hence the question. It was a stupid question anyway (frontpage has links to old version, and some of the mirrors still have the old versions lying around), so sorry about that.

Thanks for all your help,

Mads

Board footer