You are not logged in.

#7376 2022-07-30 13:13:49

luich91

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone, I have recently installed Arch Linux and have a lot to learn.
I hope I can help in the future!
Happy holidays!!!

#7377 2022-08-01 19:45:34

Eccomi

Hello. I hope you are having a great day as well

"There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal."
"There is no strength in flesh, only weakness."
"There is no constancy in flesh, only decay."
"There is no certainty in flesh but death."

#7378 2022-08-03 20:04:47

sulejman

Hello everyone! What a lovely place to start learning.

The most difficult problems have the most simple causes

#7379 2022-08-07 16:17:04

talija

Hello!  I've been an Arch user for a couple of years now, and I decided I wanted to take a look at the user community, and to hopefully learn more and contribute.  In another life I'm a Windows admin, but Linux has been my go to for my home for a while now, in addition to my escape from the licensing madness.  After professionally working with ESXi and Hyper-V I've been learning about KVM and implementing it in my home network (I particularly enjoy the architecture options!).  I'm fairly comfortable as a day to day user, though I've not really done anything at scale.  Hope to get to know you all!

#7380 2022-08-09 10:44:26

sjostrand

Just want to introduce myself and say hello!

My name is Peter and live in Sweden.

who am I  then, well A nice guy i think i was born in 78 who fell in love with computers and everything that has to do with computers in 1988.
Over the years it has been Linux of course, Mac and across 28+ years with Ms windows (started with Ms Dos).

In recent (last 4 years Ubuntu to Arch way) time it has become more and more Linux until today I run Arch Vanilla.

Then the big Elephant in the room is Why i chose Linux and did not continue with Windows or Mac.

Mac under Steve Jobs was good both Mac Os and the hardware was satisfactory.
But recently, after Steve Jobs' death, Mac OS became a playhouse with a lot colur's and bugs and pointless functions for the sake of functions and not to facilitate users,
and the quality of the Mac's dropped like a stone to the bottom of the sea, while prices skyrocketed.
Conclusion that Apple has lost its soul and the charm that Steve Jobs characterized Apple and Mac during his time, is now gone forever.

Microsoft then o'boy don't get me started.....
Windows was more or less a must-have until the 2000s, because there wasn't really any real alternative for "common people" and for nerd's there was option....but few.....
Started with games like everyone else there by Windows. Windows was basically the only option on PC if you didn't run a console like Nintendo.... O'Boy now the memories come back Super Mario .... hmm think i need to play it now.

More recently, there was certification of Windows and Windows networks and first jobs within it.
Programming quickly followed… Windows was perfectly fine until Windows 7! Everything after Win 7 was nothing but... spying collecting data and locking down Win Os so it's basically evil and unusable.
After getting tired of eternal bugs, virus, worms, trojan and updates that crash systems and bloatware with advertising (Windows Home and Pro) started the process of finding some better alternative to windows. And Mac was no longer a selectable option... Linux come in to my live.

I have certainly already been in contact with Linux in 98-99-01-02, but it was not an option for gaming at that time.
But I kept a watchful eye on Linux and followed on an hobby level what was going on in the Linux community.
Eventually my patience ran out and I started to Hate Microsoft Windows to the point where I started looking seriously for an alternative in 2018/19 due to of eternal bugs, virus, worms, trojan and updates that crash systems and bloatware with advertising.
I stopped playing except for World of Warship (since Beta time, soon 6 years) so Ubuntu was the first step then Mint and Manjaro, Fedora etc until I ended up here on Arch.

So Arch is wonderful in that it doesn't install a lot of crap and unnecessary parts that I don't need, but I have vanilla from Arch,
and Couldn't be more pleased and flattered I found Arch. It took time before I gave in to Arch and finally I took the plunge and now I'm stuck after I learned how to search for errors and solve these errors in Arch

and the felling of not having the Windows eternal bugs, virus, worms, trojan and updates that crash systems and bloatware with advertising to worry about, Arch is  actually both easy and fun with Aur and Archwiki.

Today's use of my Arch is photo (darktable and Gimp) has gone from adobe lightroom and Photoshop, and Video with KdenLive and Davinci Resolve. Of course, all the usual boring things like the office and Web surfing are also included.

I think there is lot more to say, but i think i stop here and my rumbling for now.
If any Question please feel free to ask.

One Question Why must Arch be so Sweet ans asome

Last edited by sjostrand (2022-08-09 10:55:47)

#7381 2022-08-10 20:02:24

pajeetgurav

Hi guys, I have been oscillating between Arch and Ubuntu over the years, going back mostly because of my OCD about font rendering, I still can't get it the way Ubuntu does after all this time haha.

Do you think Rust will gain adoption in tools like yay and arch system?

#7382 2022-08-13 00:14:01

sbk

hello everyone, greetings from greece

using Arch since 2018 and i decided to join your great community! i want to say thanks to everybody who is contributing here and help the newcomers to enjoy ArchLinux!

#7383 2022-08-17 04:32:40

Handulish

Hello everyone, I just registered here. Using Arch for a couple months now, and I love it!

#7384 2022-08-17 15:39:14

an4rki_

Hello I am an4rki_ I have been using GNU/Linux mostly Ubuntu for the last couple years and I switched to Arch a few weeks ago. The whole "building your own system" experience that one gets when it comes to Arch is just awesome. You also get to customise your system as you want, which made me to switch to this awesome distro. Excited to learn new stuff from this great community!

"A computer is like air conditioning - it becomes useless when you open Windows." - Linus Torvalds
Arch + DWM

#7385 2022-08-18 08:58:36

grav

Hello everyone, new Arch user here.
After a couple of years trying out Ubuntu and Fedora, this is so far the best Linux experience I`ve had. I hope to continue learning alongside this nice community!

“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.”
― Lao Tzu

#7386 2022-08-18 23:09:21

Hiperon

Hello everyone,
well,
friend made me like Linux and free software long time ago. I'm studying IT.
Same friend told me about Arch "well, installation is pretty hard, but they got great wiki and you will learn how it works underneath".
I did.
And it wasn't easy, I'm not seasoned programmer (yet?).

I still have Windows on my Desktop, and it actually was more than half challenges during installation (still not everything working with GRUB, hopefully I will not need your help for this one).

What's more... I like what I'm seeing so far, most of tweaks I'm trying to do are working pretty well. Have less problems than I remember from my Ubuntu times a while ago - either Arch is better or I understand more (or... just... everything is better).
I heard that community is great, I may test it in day or two, still can't find solution for (hopefully) basic problem.
Hmm, I'm from Poland so sorry for my English?

I guess that's all. See you later, for sure I'm gonna ask few questions... Hopefully in few years answer few?

Last edited by Hiperon (2022-08-18 23:10:43)

#7387 2022-08-21 02:45:12

return114514

大家好
纯粹因为Windows 有bug而切换到linux的用户 F
没有学习任何编程语言 T
从来不用终端 F
遇到问题直接重装 T/F
彻底的新手:)

#7388 2022-08-21 11:26:13

lenhuppe
Website

return114514 wrote:

大家好
纯粹因为Windows 有bug而切换到linux的用户 F
没有学习任何编程语言 T
从来不用终端 F
遇到问题直接重装 T/F
彻底的新手:)

您好,欢迎光临

Why do we drive on the parkway and then park in the driveway?

#7389 2022-08-23 06:06:38

morteck

Hello world!

My name is Mikael, aka morteck. I've been in the archlinux environment for a year, and wanted to start being more involved in the community. I'd love to start making like-minded friends. Thank you all for having me.

-- morteck

I like to copy & paste code from the web and call myself a full-stack developer.

#7390 2022-08-25 13:06:55

Stigma0

Hello everyone!

New to arch, I've been using it for less than a month. Looking forward to learning more along with the community!

#7391 2022-08-26 13:18:02

chaosesqueteam
Banned

Hi, I'm looking for help with my opensource project.
Fellow programmers etc.
Fully GPL project etc.
Though this would be the place to look, 4chan isn't

#7392 2022-08-26 13:21:07

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Topics merged.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#7393 2022-08-31 03:27:11

kingnoot

Hello everyone o/

I'm new to Arch but have been an avid Debian user for a while. I'm liking the transition so far! Pacman seems worlds better than apt was smile

#7394 2022-09-05 19:06:42

HermanHesse

Greetings all of you.

I am newbie in here and also arch linux. i would like to learn more about a arch and hope will provide a link for beginners to learn.

Thanks all of you.

#7395 2022-09-05 20:37:01

TLDR

Greetings! I'm a complete newcomer to ArchLinux, although I'm already somewhat familiar with Linux via Ubuntu and Fedora.  I decided to try ArchLinux as a smaller footprint alternative to other modern operating systems, and also because it seemed like it would leave the most space on my otherwise obsolete 32Gb netbook (which I have found is somewhat useful for remote work.)  I was also drawn to ArchLinux through my interest in low power/sustainable computing, as ArchLinux appears to be very customizable and therefore amenable to exploring minimal (but nonetheless functional, and friendly) user interfaces.  Beyond sustainability and the humanity-nature relationship, my interest in technology (and computing and the internetz) includes gaming, amateur meteorology, digital eco-phenology, education, language representation and learning, and the potential of peer to peer design. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

#7396 2022-09-05 22:34:50

lenhuppe
Website

TLDR wrote:

Greetings! I'm a complete newcomer to ArchLinux, although I'm already somewhat familiar with Linux via Ubuntu and Fedora.  I decided to try ArchLinux as a smaller footprint alternative to other modern operating systems, and also because it seemed like it would leave the most space on my otherwise obsolete 32Gb netbook (which I have found is somewhat useful for remote work.)  I was also drawn to ArchLinux through my interest in low power/sustainable computing, as ArchLinux appears to be very customizable and therefore amenable to exploring minimal (but nonetheless functional, and friendly) user interfaces.  Beyond sustainability and the humanity-nature relationship, my interest in technology (and computing and the internetz) includes gaming, amateur meteorology, digital eco-phenology, education, language representation and learning, and the potential of peer to peer design. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Hello and welcome!

You will find that Arch Linux is very customizable.

Be sure to check out the AUR when exploring available apps.

Why do we drive on the parkway and then park in the driveway?

#7397 2022-09-06 04:33:10

HermanHesse

I was afraid of installation of Arch smile there is magic words: Arch installation is hard:)

During this installation i guess that if you want learn Linux you have to have Arch.

Very customizable OS.

I had journey on Fedora Debian EOS and Manjaro

#7398 2022-09-06 04:43:16

HermanHesse

P.S. i be happy to recommend some tips& tricks for system security and optimizations.

What steps are to keep it secure and optimized. Thanks.

#7399 2022-09-06 18:00:03

Uly$$eS.

Greetings and regards community.

I came from Manjaro, EOS and Mint. It is time to take advantages on Arch and my main OS will be ArchLinux.

I fell deep in Archwiki so many materials for beginners.

Is anything for to take care?

#7400 2022-09-07 12:23:23

CodeCraft

Hello Everyone
I am CodeCraft and a friend and I came up with the idea of making a Linux-based distro
so here I am using arch as the base

I hope everything goes well and I can produce a distro with Calamares and other cool stuff

Board footer