You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-27 04:34:11

jaredanderson

[Solved] Could not load pixbuf from icon theme. gdk error crash

interestingly enough I happen to be experiencing this issue on two different devices at the same time. Png files don't display in my toolbar and upon launching some applications I am greeted with this error

Gtk-WARNING **: 22:19:34.871: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

I have tried a number of proposed solutions I have seen in forums elsewhere. I have tried the following commands

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
chmod 644 /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

I have also tried reinstalling or downgrading gdk-pixbuf  the adwaita icon theme and some associated libraries as well as falling back to the previous kernel for kicks.

I am not sure what else to try or how to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by jaredanderson (2020-11-27 15:28:55)

#2 2020-11-27 15:16:45

jaredanderson

Re: [Solved] Could not load pixbuf from icon theme. gdk error crash

I have found out an additional piece of information. The error doesn't happen when using sudo on the program I am trying to launch. Most likely this is a permissions issue then. I am going to dig into the permissions and see what I come up with

edit: Okay I fixed it. permissions on /usr/share/mime were 744 and I changed them to 755 with chmod -R 755 /usr/share/mime

Last edited by jaredanderson (2020-11-27 15:28:14)

#3 2020-11-27 16:28:36

seth

chmod -R 755 /usr/share/mime

Not good. The files in there should be 644…

sudo chmod -R uga-x /usr/share/mime
sudo chmod -R uga+X /usr/share/mime

Then run "pacman -Qkk | grep mime" and fix possibly remaining differences by hand.

#4 2021-08-03 09:53:51

indigohboy

jaredanderson wrote:

interestingly enough I happen to be experiencing this issue on two different devices at the same time. Png files don't display in my toolbar and upon launching some applications I am greeted with this error

Gtk-WARNING **: 22:19:34.871: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

I have tried a number of proposed solutions I have seen in forums elsewhere. I have tried the following commands

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
chmod 644 /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

I have also tried reinstalling or downgrading gdk-pixbuf  the adwaita icon theme and some associated libraries as well as falling back to the previous kernel for kicks.

I am not sure what else to try or how to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

This was the best info I found on this topic. One thing to add here - make sure your umask is proper before calling the above commands.

#5 2022-09-10 05:52:54

enumaelis

seth wrote:
chmod -R 755 /usr/share/mime

Not good. The files in there should be 644…

sudo chmod -R uga-x /usr/share/mime
sudo chmod -R uga+X /usr/share/mime

Then run "pacman -Qkk | grep mime" and fix possibly remaining differences by hand.

I have the same problem with same pixbuf errors: a program runs if in root mode but closes when using it as normal user.
I did what you wrote but the problem still persist.
The program is in python

Thank you for any idea.

Gian

#6 2022-09-10 06:23:21

seth

Did you try the commands in #1?
The OP had for some reason restricted access to the mime information, but his initial attempt is usually more relevant to the immediate problem.

Board footer