You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-14 11:45:40

pisauraxtx

[SOLVED] GTK themes broken in Firefox and Thunderbird

Hello everyone.
After an update a couple of days ago, the themes in Firefox and Thunderbird are broken.
I am using the Plasma desktop. I am using the Breeze theme in dark style. I am also using the Breeze-GTK application style.
It works fine on all GTK applications (Lutris, Gnome Disks, Signal etc.), but Firefox and Thunderbird are instead using a light theme with broken/glitchy icons.
Both applications are set to use the system theme.

I have tried out other themes. Dark themes will work fine on other applications, but result in a light theme in Firefox and Thunderbird.
The light theme looks fine with all themes except Breeze, which gives me the broken icons.
Light themes will work as expected in all applications. Breeze will also have normal icons when set to the light style.

I have reinstalled breeze-gtk and kde-gtk-config and searched these forums as well as other places for a solution, but I could not find anything.
How do I get Firefox and Thunderbird to respect the system theme and render it correctly?

Last edited by pisauraxtx (2022-09-15 07:39:25)

#2 2022-09-14 13:00:56

bitterhalt

Re: [SOLVED] GTK themes broken in Firefox and Thunderbird

#3 2022-09-14 13:34:58

pisauraxtx

Hi bitterhalt, thanks for your reply.
I checked

journalctl -b  | grep xdg-desktop-portal

and it doesn't look like the portal failed to start. I get, among other things, the following output:

Sep 14 10:38:06 myhostname xdg-desktop-portal-kde[1070]: xdp-kde: Desktop portal registered successfully

I did, however,  try the solution suggested by nivron in that thread:

systemctl --user restart plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde

And now Firefox and Thunderbird launch with the proper dark theme, as they should. I'm going to check if the issue comes back after a restart.

Edit: Yes, the issue does reappear after a restart. Is there any way to ensure that the portal launches properly and Firefox and Thunderbird use the correct themes?

Last edited by pisauraxtx (2022-09-14 13:39:27)

#4 2022-09-15 07:36:56

pisauraxtx

I found another temporary fix that does not require entering the command every time after a login.
Simply append the command

systemctl --user restart plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde

to the file

/home/yourusername/.xinitrc

Appending the command to

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

also works.
Marking this as solved for now. I am still hoping that the bug gets fixed in an update in the near future.

Last edited by pisauraxtx (2022-09-15 07:38:48)

Board footer