You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-29 18:19:30

rls

LaCie Firewire External HDD not recognized

ArchLinux, stock kernel-scsi-2.6.4, doesn't recognize my LaCie 200Gb external HDD. As shown by lspci and gscanbus, the system does recognize the Adaptec AFW-1430 FireWire Cardbus. lsmod shows all the necessary modules, ieee1394, ohci1394, raw1394 and sbp2 are present. libraw1394 is also installed.

Examining dmesg and /var/log/messages it appears the problem is that the scsi emulation is missing. That is, the system doesn't register the LaCie as a scsi device.

Nothing on the the www.linux1394.org resolves this situation although several posts report a similar, if not identical problem. The site does say that the LaCie drive should work.

Any intel would be most appreciated.

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2004-03-30 17:38:12

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: LaCie Firewire External HDD not recognized

big_smile ris;

I have kernel 2.6.4 and have been involved with IEEE1394 use in recent days.

I purchased an external case (ADS model dual link) and have mounted a maxtor 120GB and a hitachi 10GB drive in tandem.

Each of the two is recognized in lsmod and I can mount either in Kde disk free.

I have identified the Hitachi as sda1 and the maxtor as sdb1 in fstab.

I have had mixed success in file transfer tests with the maxtor drive.  Some 1GB transfers are at 30MB/sec throughout.  However, I have encountered instances when the computer hangs in the middle of the transfer or at the beginning of the transfer.
   I initiate the IEEE1394 operation by .....modprobe -v ohci1394... and..... modprobe -v sbp2....
   In googling I find that hotplug is implemented in this kernel but I have a post in newbie concerning its effect on my IEEE1394 function.
   The data I have provided in that post may be of help to you since it involves the effects of the hotplug program.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2004-04-14 14:28:39

rls

lilsirecho:

Thanx for the info. I tried and tried but never could get the LaCie to work with Firewire. Amusingly, it is dual bus and works with USB. Amusingly(2), I tried an ACOM Firewire external HDD and it worked out of the box. The Wonderful World of Linux.

Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#4 2004-04-14 21:56:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile Rick;

I found that my win HDD was giving me fits in IEEE1394 and I don't know the reason for it as yet.  It may be related to the ram size I use in Linux versus the standard limits windows has.  Iuse 1280MB in linux.

A sidelight..LiveCD from PCLinuxOS enables both modes and they appear as HDD on the desktop.  IEEE1394 is enabled in that OS with....modprobe -v ohci1394 and the HDD is accessed from the desktop(as is the USB also)

Good hunting!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer