You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-16 10:41:01

Der Chefkoch

[SOLVED] Kernel update - cannot boot anymore: invalid magic number

I ran a regular update yesterday - had latest linux-lts and headers updated. It did not boot after that with error msgs "invalid magic number" / "need load kernel first"

I chrooted into the root partition - which is LVM encrypted - and found that the "boot" folder was completely empty (dont need to seperately mount it after chrooting into root partition?)

I ran mkinitcpio -p linux-lts which gave errors, so I reinstalled linux-lts. The mkinitcpio command ran without error but still no successful boot.

To run "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" I had to create the grub-folder under boot, then ran the command. Unfortunately, still no successful boot?

Last edited by Der Chefkoch (2022-10-16 11:16:43)

#2 2022-10-16 10:48:58

witcher
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel update - cannot boot anymore: invalid magic number

It sounds like you have a LUKS encrypted root partition and an unencrypted /boot partition, but didn't mount the /boot partition before chrooting into root partition with a usb stick, correct?
The /boot partition needs to be mounted after decrypting the root partition and mounting it, otherwise the /boot folder of the chroot will be empty and you can't modify your actual /boot.

Last edited by witcher (2022-10-16 10:49:20)

#3 2022-10-16 11:15:56

Der Chefkoch

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel update - cannot boot anymore: invalid magic number

witcher wrote:

It sounds like you have a LUKS encrypted root partition and an unencrypted /boot partition, but didn't mount the /boot partition before chrooting into root partition with a usb stick, correct?
The /boot partition needs to be mounted after decrypting the root partition and mounting it, otherwise the /boot folder of the chroot will be empty and you can't modify your actual /boot.

Well, of course you are right, been ages I had the pleasure to fix my Arch like this. I was fully focused on the encrypted partition.

After properly mounting the boot partition into the decrypted root partition I chrooted in, and simply reinstalled linux-lts and linux-lts-headers, which solved the problem.

Cheers for this fundamental little hint!

Board footer