You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-19 19:09:43

Jesper

[Solved] Xfce4 crashing at start

Hi, I did recently install Xfce4-svn from the unstable repos, and it worked, initially. The second time i tried to log in to the Xfce-session, it instantly kicked me out to the GDM, and it has done this ever since. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Xfce, and searching the forum, but haven't succeded on getting rid of this.

Any tips on how i might solve this?

EDIT: If someone knows the locations of any logfiles that might connected to this, that might help as well.

Thanks

#2 2006-10-23 19:32:31

bampowwack

Re: [Solved] Xfce4 crashing at start

Check this log file: /var/log/Xorg.0.log, post it if you need further help. You are using unstable so it could be anything.

"Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed."

#3 2006-11-04 19:47:47

Jesper

Thanks a lot for your reply, and sorry for this being so late.

I finally found the problem by entering tty (ctrl+alt+f1) logging in as user and typing startxfce4. Apparently, there were a problem with a cursor theme I'd installed. Removing the theme made xfce work again.

#4 2006-11-05 21:14:52

elasticdog
Website

I had a similar problem a few weeks back.  Since I installed my own cursor theme, I altered the default index.theme file and stopped it from being upgraded in <code>/etc/pacman.conf</code>:

NoUpgrade = usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/default/index.theme

I ran across the problem of Xfce instantly kicking me out when I tried to change the icon theme to default and it obviously didn't find what it was expecting.  From then on, I couldn't log into X at all...it would kick me out as soon as Xfce had loaded.  To solve the problem, I had to edit <code>~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/gtk.xml</code> and change the <code>Net/IconThemeName</code> back to a different icon theme.  Hopefully that helps if someone else runs across the same thing. :oops:

Board footer